Loud hum from doorbell transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

pit monster

Reaction score
I just bought an 1923 home which has a neat working door bell which may be original. Anyway there is a very loud buzz originating from the transformer.

Could it be as simple as swapping out the transformer to eliminate the hum or is there any other trouble shooting I should do first?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When a transformer gets old, the varnish and the rivets can get loose, and the plates will hum. It can also hum or get worse if it is overloaded. But the easiest thing is to replace the xfmr and see where you are. Try to find the output voltage and a volt/amp spec. number on it somewhere, and get one with the same output voltage, and at least the same minimum V/A

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it humms all the time, replace it if it bothers you. If it only humms while it is under load (i.e., the doorbell is being used), it could be too small. Best to look at the doorbell itself. They usually have a VA rating on the label. If your transformer is at least that large, it will work well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks