Flow Problem mystery with rear discharge toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

FishAllThe Time

Reaction score
I have a rear discharge toilet (Gerber) in an upstairs toilet above my kitchen in a home that is only 13 years old. (Not sure model but I found the following written inside the tank A-51 28-590). It is a 1.6GPF model. Due to the design of the house, the pipe in the wall behind the toilet is 6 feet long and is angled downward but only drops 18 inches (over the course of those 6 feet) before turning straight down in the wall.

It always requires a double flush (even with no solids) and sometimes that is insufficient.

The tank fills to the designated fill level. It empties in 10 seconds and appears to be emptying normally into the bowl. I have dismounted and checked the pipe behind the toilet and it is clear.

What is the reason for the poor flushing? Is it the design of the toilet? Is it the low angle of the pipe in the wall? What is the best solution?

Thanks for any help!

FishAllThe Time

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that augering it thoroughly as the first thing I tried. When that didn't work, I removed the toilet and visually inspected the discharge pipe in the wall as well as the toilet itself. I also used a wire and reamed out the small holes where the water flows into the bowl in case they were slightly plugged. I didn't find any plug anywhere. Still stumped. :(

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In less you are using an auger with a 1-3/8" head, you may still be leaving things in there.
The common auger from a hardware store is only 7/8"
They rarely do anything.

However, if it never worked from day one, it could be argued that it's a bad bowl.
I did install a pressure assist Gerber that was bad from the factory too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks