Vertical Drain Drop Limit?

Users who are viewing this thread

bengal21

Reaction score
I have a shower on the first floor and I am going to remodel my laundry room in the basement into a bathroom/laundry room. The shower on the first floor isn't properly vented so I am wondering if I can include it in the basement remodel since I can access it from underneath.

I was wondering if there is a maximum distance from the lip of the floor drain in the shower to the trap wier or another part of the trap?

The lower I can put the trap the better since I plan to run a vent (within the critial distance) as I am showing in the attached drawing. The vent will be tied into the shower drain and both will run along a wall where the drain will drop and meet with the drain for the washing maching. The vent for the washing machine will go up along the wall and both will combine above the shower trap and connect to one of our stacks in the attic.

Is there a maximum length for a 1.5" or 2" vent?

Thanks for the help:D

Attachments

• droptrap.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,316

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a shower on the first floor and I am going to remodel my laundry room in the basement into a bathroom/laundry room. The shower on the first floor isn't properly vented so I am wondering if I can include it in the basement remodel since I can access it from underneath.

I was wondering if there is a maximum distance from the lip of the floor drain in the shower to the trap wier or another part of the trap?

The lower I can put the trap the better since I plan to run a vent (within the critial distance) as I am showing in the attached drawing. The vent will be tied into the shower drain and both will run along a wall where the drain will drop and meet with the drain for the washing maching. The vent for the washing machine will go up along the wall and both will combine above the shower trap and connect to one of our stacks in the attic.

Is there a maximum length for a 1.5" or 2" vent?

Thanks for the help:D

In Canada here you are allowed upto 1200mm (or 4') on your fixture outlet pipe... not sure about your local codes though.

The max length for a vent depends on how many fixture units it's venting etc... but the max is usually farther then you'd ever run in a house. For example you can run 30m (~100') on a 1.5" vent that is venting 8 fixture units. The same 2" vent could run 61m.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
UPC Code says nothing over 24"

The vertical distance between a fixture outlet and the trap weir shall be as short as practicable, but in no case shall the tailpiece from any fixture exceed 24" in length.

bengal21

Reaction score
Thanks to you both.

Looking at my drawing a second time I show that the vent would go "to roof" but I plan to tie into one of the other stacks in the house. is what I show acceptable under UPC? Could I slope the vent line for the shower 1/4" per foot either direction since either direction will allow it to drain?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The vent for the washer downstairs and the vent for the shower can revent above the flood level of the highest fixture in that group.
If there is a lav connected, it would be six inches above the counter height.
The revent would be on the floor of the shower.
Not below the floor.

You can run vents pretty flat when above the flood level,
Below that, and it needs grade.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you have drawn definitely won't do. The shower vent cannot run horizontal until it is above the flood rim of the highest fixture on the vent.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not more than 24" for the drop

You can not run the flat vent for the shower. The vent must rise vertical untill it is 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served.

If the stack is not 3" or larger you can't dump the shower and the washer into it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1. You cannot run the shower vent that way.
2. If you connect the shower drain to the riser where you show it, the laundry vent cannot connect to it, until it is at least 12" above the floor, and to be "legal" it would have to be 42" high before connecting to the riser.
3. If the shower drain is within the prescribed distance to the vent, and not too far below the shower base, the riser would be its vent.
4. If the shower IS too far away, then its vent would also have to tie into the riser at the above dimensions.

Last edited:

bengal21

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification all. I am scrapping the idea of running the shower drain that way. Instead I will leave it draining to the stack it is running to now. It is currently only a 1.5" drain and I plan to make it a 2" drain to the stack and vent properly.

When you say that the shower vent has to be "vertical" does that mean absolutely vertical or can it have some slope it it? The reason I ask is I may need to make a few 45 degree bends as I run it up between some joists, through a wall bottom plate, and between two wall studs where I plan to tie into the 3" stack above the sink fixture.

Thanks again.

kendubya

Reaction score
UPC Code says nothing over 24"

The vertical distance between a fixture outlet and the trap weir shall be as short as practicable, but in no case shall the tailpiece from any fixture exceed 24" in length.
Hello, ...long-time lurker. While I know this, I cannot understand why. Would you explain the 24" limit. I'm thinking it's a dry trap potential. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks