No hot water in kitchen sink after dishwasher install

Users who are viewing this thread

bullseye

Reaction score
Today, I installed a new Frigidaire dishwasher in my kitchen and now there is almost no hot water pressure in my sink after running the dishwasher for the first time.

The sink and the dishwasher share the hot water valve. The rest of the house's hot water pressure is working normally. Before the install there were no problems with the hot water pressure in the kitchen sink.

I ran the dishwasher on a complete 'normal' cycle without any dishes inside; I then lost hot water pressure in my sink 20-30 mins into the cycle.

The dishwasher install went over smoothly--no leaks, no unusual operating noises, or odors. The dishwasher that was replaced had not been used in years and is a older GE model from 1981.

Currently, the dishwasher has been off for several hours and there is still no hot water pressure in the kitchen sink.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I would guess that it has to do with the supply stop. Are you sure you had pressure after the DW install? Did you replace anything else?

bullseye

Reaction score
Yes, I still had pressure after the install, but only for a short amount of time.

I replaced the old copper supply line pipe with steel braided flex pipe, the DW drainage hose fed directly into my garbage disposal, and the power is powering and responding well enough to lead me to believe that there is nothing wrong there.

The dishwasher itself seems to be working normally, I just can't seem to pinpoint why my kitchen sink has now lost hot water pressure.

Nothing else has been installed/repaired; just the DW install today.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
It sounds like it all should be OK....
Is the braided supply line one of the ones that is supposed to stop leaks??
The first thing I would look at is the line if that's the only change to the sink supply.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Check the braided line if they are to long they tend to kink if you have any sharp bends in them.
John

bullseye

Reaction score
I am thinking it is the line, too. It has some line slack that coils the pipe, but there are no kinks or sharp bends.

I bought a dishwasher supple line kit, something similiar to this:

I wrapped both fittings on the elbow with a small amount of Teflon tape, as well as the fitting for the hot water faucet that leads into the supply line.

Should I remove the Teflon tape around the end of the elbow that already came attached to the supply line?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those connectors don't need Teflon Tape,
Yes remove it.

If if it has a label that says "Floodsafe" throw it away.

Have you removed the supply line to the hot side of the sink faucet?
You can check there to see if the stop is clogged.

untitled4.jpg

Last edited:

bullseye

Reaction score
I think I found the problem.

The supply line is an "anti-flood/auto-shutoff" feature line. I think this may explain the low pressure in the sink.

I am heading out to the plumbing store to pick up regular steel braided flex pipe without the 'auto-shutoff'.

lati_cz

Reaction score
you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.
lati cz

Yes, and then when he runs the dishwasher and it gets into the rinse cycle, it can shut itself off again.
Then he removes the fitting, resets the floodsafe, and finishes the wash.

And then the next day he can do the same thing.
Pretty cool.
You can almost run load of dishes.

I wonder how many dishwashers are burning out?
Being run dry.

Wondering

Reaction score
I just read something very similar the other day. Dishwasher didnt wash and by the time it was noticed everything was baked on with heat element heating and no water inside to wash with. After thinking it might be time for a new machine, it was discovered the trouble was one of these floodsafe lines. The owner had just replaced the old line a few days before and did not know he had gotten a floodsafe one until he was asked about that. That is when he looked, found that it was, removed it and replaced with regular hose and machine works perfect.

cheryleme

Reaction score
terry. im having the same problem at my house. the only difference id that i didnt replace my supply line cause it was working fine ten mins before the dishwasher repair man fixed my dishwasher .. it had only been two weeks that i was out of a dish washer and nuthing was changed just the removel of the didhwasher so it could be repaired .. i had them come back out the next day after the repair to see if there was a installalion error . but they said there wasnt. .. my supply line is a copper pipe. i need help

lisalou482

Reaction score
No water at sink except a trickle after initial dishwasher install

terry. im having the same problem at my house. the only difference id that i didnt replace my supply line cause it was working fine ten mins before the dishwasher repair man fixed my dishwasher .. it had only been two weeks that i was out of a dish washer and nuthing was changed just the removel of the didhwasher so it could be repaired .. i had them come back out the next day after the repair to see if there was a installalion error . but they said there wasnt. .. my supply line is a copper pipe. i need help

I am having a very similar problem at my house. We just installed a Fridgidaire dishwasher (first time dishwasher hooked up in this older double wide mobile home) and everything worked fine before we tied into the hot water tubing...now we have no hot water in the sink and I would say that we had a bad "T-fitting" but the hot AND cold no longer work at the kitchen sink and we did not touch the cold water tubing at all. We installed a PEX "T" and then attached the braided inlet hose to the "T". The water is working great to the dishwasher. I don't have the electricity hooked up yet but I "bled" the hose and water is shooting out of it at full pressure but it is only trickling (and that is being generous) out of the kitchen faucet. It is working fine throughout the rest of the house. Is it possible that we have some kind of vapor lock? How can I get the water (hot and cold) working in the sink? BTW, I do not have a flood safe hose. I checked.

Last edited:

lisalou482

Reaction score
I am having a very similar problem at my house. We just installed a Fridgidaire dishwasher (first time dishwasher hooked up in this older double wide mobile home) and everything worked fine before we tied into the hot water tubing...now we have no hot water in the sink and I would say that we had a bad "T-fitting" but the hot AND cold no longer work at the kitchen sink and we did not touch the cold water tubing at all. We installed a PEX "T" to the hot water supply and then attached the braided inlet hose to the "T". The water is working great to the dishwasher. I don't have the electricity hooked up yet but I "bled" the hose and water is shooting out of it at full pressure but it is only trickling (and that is being generous) out of the kitchen faucet. It is working fine throughout the rest of the house. Is it possible that we have some kind of vapor lock? How can I get the water (hot and cold) working in the kitchen sink? BTW, I do not have a flood safe hose. I checked.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.

At least not now, but he will have to when it disintegrates and floods the kitchen. Replace it NOW before that happens.

Lisalou, check the aerator on the end of the spout. if NEITHER hot or cold work the problem is in the faucet and that is the most likely spot.

Last edited:

lisalou482

Reaction score
aerator

quote; you do not need to replace it. Disconnect the hose from the valve, put it back and turn the valve SLOWLY open.

At least not now, but he will have to when it disintegrates and floods the kitchen. Replace it NOW before that happens.

Lisalou, check the aerator on the end of the spout. if NEITHER hot or cold work the problem is in the faucet and that is the most likely spot.

I tried taking the aerator off already, no change in pressure.

Reaction score
These floodsafe connectors are AWFUL! I installed a dishwasher with one and it wouldn't pump water in and I noticed it was a floodsafe connector and thought it might be that. Had to take everything apart, install a new line, and now it works wonderfully. They need to re-think these things, maybe have them be rated for higher flow or something.

SHR

Reaction score
I like most Watts brand products but every time I see a "Floodsafe" supply line on a job, I replace it. I will never leave a job with a "Floodsafe" supply line. They are so bad the major city I work in and around will not approve any plumbing with "Floodsafe" supply lines.

lisalou482

Reaction score
Solution

I tried taking the aerator off already, no change in pressure.

Turns out the 30 years of rusty well water had apparently left residue on the inside of my supply lines and when we jigsawed the line into we must have busted some rust loose which also apparently lodged in the faucet and completely stopped it up. Bled the lines, replaced the entire faucet and problem solved! Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks