Adjusting wall plates - Moving switches & receptacle outward so wall plate looks good

Users who are viewing this thread

jamminjoe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

Because of the random depth my electric boxes were installed behind the drywall I am having a very tough time getting my screwless decora style wall plates looking the same. The problems is that sometimes the switch is proud, sometimes flush, and sometimes behind the wall plate. I’m using the Cooper Aspire Mid-sized Screwless Wall Plate - White Satin in one, two, three, and four gang (http://solutions.cooperwiringdevices.com). You first screw the mounting plate onto the receptacle or switch and then press the wallplate into place. This sounds simple, but I find that the plates are sitting different at each switch/receptacle. I am using the bright green lego style spacers/shims that adjusts depth of receptacles and switches to allow proper fit of trim plate, but I still am having trouble. Does anyone have some tips or ideas about how best to solve this problem? At this point any help would be useful.

Thanks for your time.

Joe

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
You can try a product from Arlington Part # BE-1. its designed for boxes that are to far back in the wall. They make the distance code compliant for combustable wall finish also.

Attachments

• BE1.jpg
    BE1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 980

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At any hardware store, you can buy plastic shims designed to fit under the "wings" of the device to space it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks