(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement Plumbing

Default Basement Plumbing

Hello,

I am starting a basement remodel and am in the stages of planning the plumbing for a laundry room/bathroom. I am sure I will have many questions and this forum has been very helpful so far. Attached is a drawing of what I would like to do and I am not sure if there are any issues with it but basically I would like to:

Run a 2" laundry drain 8 feet or so to the 3" or 4" line that exits my home. With everything that I have read it seems that I will need to vent this line. Since I am in the basement I was thinking that I would just wye a 1.5" vent to the 1.5" drain for my first floor shower that is about 4 or 5 feet from a stack. Will there be any issues with this? Thanks.

bengal21
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I am not allowed to vent the laundry line in the basement through the shower drain line could I tie the 1.5" vent line into the stack above the toilet but below the sink? Or does the vent have to be above the highest fixture on the stack? I am hoping that it only has to be above the toilet drain line

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

The vent for the laundry must go out the roof or tie in 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture on the stack.

John

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Question

What part of your sketch is under concrete? if that vent is under concrete it should be 2in., the pipe to the shower should also be 2in. Like the other post said your vent will have to tie in above the FLOOD LEVEL RIM of the highest fixture, that usually comes out to 42in above the floor. Any fixture below another fixture has to have a vent. Work on your design some more.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The vents need to tie in above the flood level of the fixtures being connected.
    That would be 6" above the sink upstairs.
    Not on the shower trap arm.

Thanks for the responses and help.