Low Pressure and Poor Hot Water in Master bath

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbingZero

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My home has two baths. One bath is on the west end of the house and is right through the wall from the hot water tank. The other bath (master bath) is on the east end of the house. The bath on the west end of the house, has good pressure, and the hot water will almost instantly go from cool to hot. Also the kitchen faucets also perform normally for both pressure and temperature.
But the other bathroom, has both pressure and hot water issues as follows:
  1. Low Pressure – the water pressure for both hot and cold are significantly lower at all faucets
  2. Hot water is extremely slow to warm and never does become fully hot. In order to get the shower warmed up in the mornings, I turn on both sink faucets and the shower faucet on hot. I would estimate that it takes 3-5 minutes to warm. And even then, it is still not as warm as I would like. If I turn on just the shower (without the sink faucets) it takes forever to warm.
  3. Another observation, once I get in the shower, if the water is too warm (which rarely happens)…if you adjust it towards cool, then you can never adjust it back to warm up. So it is as if the shower faucet allows you to make it cooler, but not warmer.
Other data points
  1. the master bath in question also has a large and separate bathtub. The faucets for the bathtub are fine and the hot water will scald you.
  2. This problem is worse (or at least seems so) in the winter when it is cold outside. Of course that could be because I don’t like my shower as hot when it is 98 outside.
So my friends…HELP!! Any suggested approaches to diagnosing the issue is appreciated..….I want my relaxing shower back!...:eek:
Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Modern shower valves have a high limit adjustment in them...yours may be set too low. If you can get scalding water at the tub, but only warm at the sink and shower, you may have a cross-over situation somewhere. What brand and model faucets are there? Is one for chance a Mixet?

Is the house on a slab? Are the pipes running underneath the slab? Are they copper or galvanized, or other? Galvanized often corrodes and can restrict the flow. If they are running under the slab and aren't insulated, the water may be cooled off a bunch by that contact with the ground.

But, if you can get scalding in the tub of that bathroom, and only cool or warm at the other fixtures, you have hot there.

As to the time it takes, you either put a small water heater there to give you instant hot, and feed it from the hot water line, so when hot actually gets there, it is feeding through the new tank, or you install a recirculation system. that way, you won't be dumping 30-40 gallons or more down the drain to get some hot water there.

PlumbingZero

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I think you are right on the faucet...It is a Delta Monitor...I googled it and it is definately adjustable....gonna give that a try, but I think that is probably it.....Thanks for the tip!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks