Plumbing Bathroom in basement - help

Users who are viewing this thread

cheese1478

Reaction score
I am installing a toilet and sink in my basement. There is an existing 3" drain pipe that ties to 2 other toilets upstairs. The pipe goes down my basement wall and under the concrete. I broke out the concrete and will tie my toilet into the 3" pipe (18" away). I will also tie my sink into the same 3" pipe prior to where it hits the concrete.

Is this OK? Also, do I have to run a separate vent or can I vent throug the 3" pipe? If I can use the existing 3" pipe do i need to tie into or just use my toilet connect as explained above. I can find any other vent pipe?

Thanks,

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
First you can not have three toilets on 3".
Second you do need a separate vent for the new 1/2 bath.

John

cheese1478

Reaction score
I now understand the 3 toilets on a 3" pipe is not code. Assuming I find a different pipe to tie into for the toilet what is the best method to vent the toilet and sink? Any guidance is very much appreciated.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any vent must terminate through the roof. If you connect to any existing vent it must be connected above the flood rim of the highest fixture on that vent.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Welllllllll...... actually, by the latest edition of the IPC, 3 toilets can go on a 3" line.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Sorry guys I guess I'm old school. We were allowed three on 3" on a vertical line. Back in the days of 5 gal. per flushes.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks