Bath tub overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I am working on a bath tub overflow. I am aware of the tappered gasket required,but what should be used on the tub side. I hear silicone,plumber puddy. Should it only be used on the top?
Thanks,
J

Jwhitman

Reaction score
after installing the overflow cap, I see a gap in the top and bottom.There are tabs that offset the cover or cap from sitting flush on the tub. When the shower is going won't this allow water to enter the drain from the top portion that is open? I bought a new overflow cover and it has a gap on the bottom and looks like it is closed on the top. Is this correct? It might be that the old cover is wrong for the tub. Where the cover sits on the tub there is a round inset. This causes the old cover to not sit flush on top and bottom. Really I need to know if there should be a gap on the top, facing up on the overflow plate or should there only be a gap on the bottom.
Thanks,
J

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The overflow lets water drain out of the tub if the water is too high.

The rubber washer between the body of the drain and the tub prevent leaks.
It's normal for water drain into the overflow.
That's what it's for.

You can have the gap on the face plate in any direction you like.
I've seen some people tilt them up so the tub holds more water.

Most lavs in the bathroom will have an overflow too.
The one at me grandmothers house didn't back in the 50's
I left the faucet on and went downstairs, and pretty soon water was coming through the ceiling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

If you are showering, what difference does it make whether the splashing water goes down the drain or out the overflow, as long as the gasket in the back is sealed. And if if it is not sealed it will leak anyway, because SOME of that splashing water is still going to get between the top of the overflow plate and the tub. The cover without the top holes just looks neater, but otherwise is no better or worse than the other one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks