Vinyl tile installation

Users who are viewing this thread

TJanak

Reaction score
I bought ~1300 square feet of Mannington Adura Vinyl Tiles. Installation Instructions I cannot find anyone to do just a 100 ft bathroom and closet at this time. I need to get it done before I can tear up the other bathroom and the rest of the house and install the remaining 1200 ft. Does anyone have any tips on installing this floor? From what I read the pressure sensitive glue is applied with a notched trowel and allowed to set up (10 min. or so) and then tiles applied and rolled with 100 lb roller.

Specifically, do you lay a row and then put down a piece of plywood so you can kneel on the tile and work on the next row? And then roll when done?

What do you do where the glue is spread out past the tile of one section? It will be too dry to use for the next section so I guess you scrape it up and spread new?

I cannot find hardly any info on this on the internet. Just not commonly a DIY project I guess.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

Not sure about yours, but pressure sensitive glue is usually used "dry", so it should not get "dried out". As for the actual tiling, you have to layout a starting location, so you do not have "slivers" at the sides, and work from there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it's too far to reach, draw a line with a Sharpie to the edge of a row, and then be careful about putting the glue down. Not sure why you'd need to put ply down on top of the set tiles to work on the others except if they slid.

TJanak

Reaction score
Well got the 100 ft done in the bathroom and adjoining closet this morning. I probably made too big a deal about it because it turned out easier than I expected. The hardest part was keeping some of the corners square because there actually was a variation of maybe 1/32 or so in size between tiles from different boxes. Of course Mannington says specifically to mix different boxes to get a truly random pattern. I just had to adjust by using the slightly different sized pieces in specific locations to keep my lines straight.

Glue was super easy to use and the tiles aren't too bad to trim either. Once set it the glue and pressed down by hand it would be really hard to move the tile, so I didn't worry about leaning on them to lay the next row.

Now I have to decide if I want to lay the other 1200 ft or pay a guy $0.70/ft to do it for me. I'll try to attach a picture of the bathroom later when I have my camera.

TJanak

Reaction score
Here's a picture. Toilet and pedestal sink goes in tomorrow and then done except for the shower glass guys.

Attachments

• IMG_4221b.jpg
    IMG_4221b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 272

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

Mixing boxes with different dye lots is to randomize the color, not to compensate for manufacturing errors in tile size. I cannot imagine how anyone would be able to install tile PROPERLY if the pieces were not all the same size. There would have to be gaps between the tiles or the corners could not meet perfectly so that the tile lines would be all over the place. It would be even worse if the tiles were not square, regardless of their sizes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks