Washing Machine Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

strobelw

Reaction score
Looking for some help here...

My washing machine has a standpipe that is about 33" and goes out of the house and into the ground into its own waste drain (underground). It does not drain into our main stack. We are getting a little smell from the top of the standpipe. The setup does not have a "p" trap. Here are my questions:

1) Should I install a "p" trap to eliminate the smell?

2) Do I need to install a vent on this? If so, how do I do that?

3) If I installed a Air Admittance Valve (AAV), would that replace the vent option?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
1. You should definitely have a p-trap.
2. You should definitely have a vent.
3. AAV's don't work well with washing machines, the sudden dump from the machine can/will cause positive pressure in the drain line keeping the drain from draining.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why do you think you are getting an odor? One of the purposes of a vent is to seal gas and odor from getting into the house. The vent is installed after the p trap and must either join another vent to the outside or extend through and above the roof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks