Warranties: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Users who are viewing this thread

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
I've decided to go on an expedition to the Land of Warranties. In addition to checking out length of warranties, I am intensely interested in whether any given w/h company's warranty is pro-rated or not.

My first stop on the journey, naturally, was to read the warranty itself. This turned out to be not such an easy thing to do. I started with Bradford White. They have a place on their web site to download warranties, but it was out of action for several days. So finally I just sent BW an e-mail with this simple, direct question: "Are your warranties pro-rated?" The BW response was equally simple and direct: "The warranty is not pro-rated." Just the answer I'm looking for!

Next, I tried Rheem. Try as I might, I couldn't find a warranty to read from their web site. So finally I sent Rheem an e-mail with the same question: "Are your warranties pro-rated?" Their response: "The warranty begins at installation." This obviously misses the question, so I resubmitted my query four days ago. Still waiting for a response. Maybe they're short-staffed during this time of year, with the warranty experts on Christmas vacation for a few more days.

Next, I tried State, and I found this mysterious statement in their printed warranty: "The water heater replacement model or part will be warranted for only the unexpired portion of the original warranty." Being suspicious that this means "pro-rated," I asked them directly if this was the case. Rather than a direct "yes, it is" or "no, it isn't," I received this response: "Thanks for contacting into help at Statewaterheaters.com! If you get a replacing gas and pay for any upgrade fees then then warranty will take over on what is left of previous unit. If electric you will have the warranty go off the original warranty as well." If my interpretation is correct, this means it's pro-rated. Not good.

Insights solicited! (If this topic has been explored thoroughly before, my apologies. But as an Air Force general once told me, "There's no horse so dead that you can't beat it some more.")

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Rheem Warranty's are not pro-rated, I don't know of any that are but things always change...but all, as far as I know, start when the heater is installed...so you need to have the paper work from the installing plumber and maybe the inspection sticker to show proof of install date...the reason is that without that info they will go by the date of Mfg. which could be almost any length of time before it is installed...and the heater could be a year or more old if you buy it at a hardware store...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

Typically, the original heater installation is not prorated. BUT if the heater fails during the warranty period the replacement only gets the remainder of the original warranty. The warranty period is usually based on the heater's serial number plus a period when it could have been warehoused, unless you have an installation receipt showing a different time period. If your 6 year heater fails after 5 years and 6 months the replacement heater is supplied but it only has a 6 month warranty. Some wholesalers also charge a "service fee" to exchange the heater. Home Depot has a policy, instituted by GE, that when they stop selling a given model number, then you DO only get the prorated balance of the warranty against the price of a new heater. One reason, among many, that I would not sell a GE water heater, even though it is actually a Rheem/Ruud, and R/R does not have that policy.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
In a corporatocracy like the US, you don't mess with corporations!:eek:

Also, in a conversation, the person who asks the questions controls the conversation. The companies you questioned have to fix that right away and shift the balance of power back to them.
Rumsfeld used an interesting variation on this: he asked himself questions and then answered them.

WordGames R us!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

ThatGuy; There is no shifting of power, and he asked the wrong people anyway. He should have asked a plumber. When I have a bad heater and the serial number indicates that it could be under warranty, I enter the number at a web site to see if the warranty is valid, i.e., the heater was not one which had replaced an earlier failure. If it is, I take it to the proper wholesaler and get the new one. I do not have to contact the manufacturer, his distributor, or any one else.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
he asked the wrong people anyway. He should have asked a plumber.
There's truth in that; some corporate doors are closed to most people, :mad:other doors are open [if you can find them].:D

i.e., the heater was not one which had replaced an earlier failure.
Are warranties good for only the first failed heater?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
warranty

The FULL warranty is only good for the first heater. Subsequent ones only get the remaining time of the original warrany. And as for 9, 10, 12, etc. year warranties, the heaters are usually the same as the 6 year ones, you are just buying an "extended warranty" with the extra cost of the heater. Bradford White does not make a 10 year heater. You buy a 6 year one and then purchase a certificate for the additional years.

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
Just had a new Rheem WH installed about an hour ago. I paid $150 extra for an extended warranty and made an interesting discovery: the $150 included an extra anode rod. The extra rod is an integral part of the hot water dielectric nipple. So the tank operates with two such rods in place. Don't know if this is true with other WH manufacturers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the installing plumber.
There are plenty of contractors that will take the money for the extended warranty without doing more then noting it on the invoice.
It's not unheard of for tanks to last 20 years.
It's a good gamble for the contractors.

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
I can confirm the second rod in this case, because I helped him put it in. He had a devilish time getting the factory-installed "standard" nipple out, it was screwed in so tight. So I bear-hugged the tank while he wrenched. My old heater only lasted 1 month past its 6-year warranty, so I was quite interested in getting the extended warranty!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

This one may also last 6 years and 1 month, or it could last 10 years and 2 months, but it would probably have done the same even if you had not sprung the extra money for the extended warranty. It's only if it goes bad after 6 years and before 10, that you will get your money's worth.

SemiHandyRon

Reaction score
I very rarely buy extended warranties. I can only remember doing so twice--and both times I needed them. Depends on cost of the warranty, who is underwriting it, estimated chance of failure, etc., etc. I'll let everyone know in 6 to 10 years how this one turned out!

Gellfex

Reaction score
I know this thread is old, but seemed a good place to share my recent story. Thursday night a 75 gal tank went in a 3 family rental house. It was a Kenmore with a 12 year warranty that hadn't hit it's 10th birthday. So I contacted Sears on Friday AM. They tell me they'd send somebody to look at it to make sure it had been installed correctly, and get back to me whether they'd give warranty service withing "24 to 48 business hours". I could not remove it, replace it, and be reimbursed after they inspected it. I had already looked at their inventory and seen they didn't even have a replacement in the state. So I say "so it might be Thursday at best before I can realistically have a replacement heater?" "Yes".

I could not deprive my 6 adults and 2 infants of hot water for a week in order to save $1100, so I picked up a B-W and had my plumber throw it in on Friday afternoon. This warranty was utterly worthless in practical application. I imagine most homeowners would make the exact same choice I did when faced with depriving their family of hot water for a week.

Clog

Reaction score
I've questioned the value of warranties too.

On a different thread, a forum member compared the warranties of top of the line Rheem water heaters sold at the supply house (Professional Prestige) versus the reportedly physically identical counterparts sold at Home Depot (Performance Platinum).

The tank warranties for both product lines (in the models compared) were 12 years.

The difference was that the Home Depot warranty included 3 years of labor, whereas the supply house warranty for labor was nil (0 years).

The prices for comparable models from both product lines were the same, and the additional labor warranty given to the Home Depot version was not an extra cost option, but was included in the shelf price. And, yes, the Home Depot version also had an all brass drain valve. But to the point: warranty...

The poster on that other thread opined that the 3 year labor warranty made the Home Depot version a better value. And that is what stopped me in my mental tracks, because...

How 'valuable' is the quality of labor that would be sent out to address any problems with the installation?

If one is doing the install themselves, presumably it is because they do not have the disposable income to afford a plumber, or, they have not had good experiences with previous 'plumbers' in the past. If the latter, then how would a warranty on labor be of that much value, if the labor is suspect?

Then there is the warranty on the tank...

Last year I thought I'd try an American Water Heater unit, that masquerades as an A.O. Smith branded product (although not actually manufactured by AO Smith) and is sold at Lowes as an AO Smith. It too, had the 12 year warranty, no extra cost. I'm not sure if it had a labor warranty or not, but let's just talk about the tank warranty. This unit only had one anode rod, incorporated with the hot water outlet nipple. So I'm not sure why a 12 year warranty was provided for this unit, while other similar but less featured units only had a 6 year warranty.

I'm willing to pay more for a product, if there is more actual product included in the price. For that heater, I ended up pulling the T&P from the factory installation on top, and remounting in the side where the factory placed a plug (either location approved by mfr), and installing a second anode rod in the port where I pulled the T&P from. Finding the right anode rod was a challenge, because I first had to determine what metal the anode rod in the tank was made with, so that I didn't have one anode rod of less noble metal than the other. Finally found the right KA rod, and hope to never have to exercise the warranty.

Which leads to the point of this post... I'd much rather have a better PRODUCT (thicker tank, glass lined without pitting and careless manufacturing that leaves the ports inside the tank exposed, full depth anode rods, quality and care in assembly, etc) than a longer warranty. However, short of destructive disassembly of the water heater prior to purchase, there is no way for me to know the quality of a water heater inside, and therefore I end up considering the warranty offered by the manufacturer as a barometer of probability of endurance in service.

The logic being, that if a manufacturer is willing to "stand behind" a subset of their product line for TWICE the length in time as they do the majority of their products, surely, the longer warranted subset of their products must be built better, right?

Yet time and time again, people say they are all built the same.

Sigh.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks