(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: BW Ultra High Efficiency Energy Saver

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    DIY Member SemiHandyRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    46

    Default BW Ultra High Efficiency Energy Saver

    Anyone had experience with the BW ultra high efficiency energy saver unit, model EFR‑1‑60T1206EN? See it here: http://www.bradfordwhite.com/product...product_id=218

    BW doesn't list MSRPs on their site, so I'm wondering about cost.

    Also, the BW site says, "this model qualifies for the current tax credit of 30% (equipment and installation cost) up to $1,500." However, the www.energystar.gov site says, "There are NO residential storage tank water heaters that can qualify for the tax credit because none can meet the Energy Factor requirement of .82." Is BW right and energystar wrong?

    When I bought my HVAC system, the Carrier dealer talked me out of buying Carrier's top-dog efficiency unit--he thought it was overly prone to breakdown, given all the esoteric circuitry, etc. I'm wondering if the same caution would apply here.

  2. #2
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking that must be real new

    thanks for the info...
    never seen one of these yet


    I will look into this one tomorrow..

    that looks pretty nice and is probably going to cost me

    my guess about 1600..


    I would prefer it over a tankless.....


    4 mag rods in this puppy
    a thermostatic mixing vale??

    does not say what the tank warranty is

    the only thing I think would be wise to
    flush out the unit bi monthly

  3. #3
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Its a condensing tank water heater very similar to the Eternal Hybrid or Vertex type units...

    Except Bradford White makes it....

  4. #4
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,671

    Default heater

    Part of its performance comes from operating at 160 degree water temperature and a built in mixing valve to reduce it to a usable temperature. They are VERY expensive, but I could not give you the price for two reasons. (1). It has been a while since I priced one, and (2). I do not know what plumbers in your area add to the cost for a selling price.

  5. #5
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking is it any good????

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Its a condensing tank water heater very similar to the Eternal Hybrid or Vertex type units...

    Except Bradford White makes it....

    redwood, you need to write an article on it..for your web site.

    do you know anything about it , are they any good

    being made by Bradford White is the best selling feature to me...

  6. #6
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by master plumber mark View Post
    redwood, you need to write an article on it..for your web site.
    Funny you should say that Mark...
    I did a while ago... It's old enough that it isn't on "The Latest" list of articles...

    http://411plumb.com/bradford-white-r...-heater-review

    Is that Redwood on the ball or what?

  7. #7
    Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Posts
    4,244
    Blog Entries
    1

    Talking you are the man.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Funny you should say that Mark...
    I did a while ago... It's old enough that it isn't on "The Latest" list of articles...

    http://411plumb.com/bradford-white-r...-heater-review

    Is that Redwood on the ball or what?

    yep, you are on the ball.

    why did you not tell me about this one???..

    I was not even aware of this new fangled heater from Bradford white...


    have you ever gotten a price on one yet???

    I am getting the feeling that it is going to be my next toy
    to install on that gas meter down in my laundry room..

    I have been running my 75 gallon brad white for about 3 years now
    with that gas meter and should have enough data on my yearly consumption..

    I get the feeling its got to be cheaper than a tankless
    give better all around demand and efficinecy
    and probably about as good or
    better than that evian unit.....

    do you know of anyone that has one yet??


  8. #8
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SemiHandyRon View Post
    Also, the BW site says, "this model qualifies for the current tax credit of 30% (equipment and installation cost) up to $1,500." However, the www.energystar.gov site says, "There are NO residential storage tank water heaters that can qualify for the tax credit because none can meet the Energy Factor requirement of .82." Is BW right and energystar wrong?

    When I bought my HVAC system, the Carrier dealer talked me out of buying Carrier's top-dog efficiency unit--he thought it was overly prone to breakdown, given all the esoteric circuitry, etc. I'm wondering if the same caution would apply here.
    We are still awaiting the official EF ratings on the condensing tanks, they should be complete in early 2010. The manufacturers obviously believe they will qualify at .82.

    Can't say how trouble prone these might be. I imagine they will be similar to power vented types maintenance wise. There is usually a learning curve for installers and manufacturers on new tech, so being an early adopter is risky. Also, early adopters usually end up paying much more than when something becomes mainstream a few years later.

    As to price, what really matters is what the wholesale cost is. Plumber mark up on the tank itself is not a useful measure. What matters is how much in time and materials they need for the installation compared to a standard tank. It wouldn't be hard for a plumber to price these completely out of any economical range since they will be expensive to begin with.

  9. #9
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,671

    Default tank

    quote; As to price, what really matters is what the wholesale cost is. Plumber mark up on the tank itself is not a useful measure. What matters is how much in time and materials they need for the installation compared to a standard tank

    Unless YOU can buy it at wholesale, the wholesale cost is MEANINGLESS to you. You will pay whatever the plumber charges for the unit, regardless of what he paid for it. The time and materials compared to a standard tank are almost immaterial since it is basically just another type of standard tank.

  10. #10
    DIY Member SemiHandyRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fairfield, OH
    Posts
    46

    Default

    I've learned the hard way not to be an early adopter! "Cutting edge" too often means "bleeding edge" and all that.

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    }
    Unless YOU can buy it at wholesale, the wholesale cost is MEANINGLESS to you. You will pay whatever the plumber charges for the unit, regardless of what he paid for it. The time and materials compared to a standard tank are almost immaterial since it is basically just another type of standard tank.
    IT IS NOT IN THE LEAST MEANINGLESS TO ME!!!. Responses like that gets folks scratched off any quote list. The basic cost matters a great deal. This squirreliness of hidden pricing does your profession a real disservice and drives away customers/creates DIY'ers. Heck, it gives car salesmen a leg up--at least I know their cost to within a few percent.

    Since we don't even have a ballpark price for these things it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in getting quotes from plumbers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •