(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: One WH leaking - replace both?

DIY Junior Member

Default One WH leaking - replace both?

I have a pair of Bradford-White 50-gal water heaters. They are 6-year warranty models and are 6 1/2 years old. One tank just began leaking. My conundrum is: Should I replace both WH's at the same time or just wait for the second one to fail? I'll be doing the labor so I won't save on installation by doing one or both. They're plumbed in series and have a recirculation loop. I'm leaning on replacing both so I can do the entire job once. Comments? Wisdom? Experience? Thanks!!

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I have a pair of Bradford-White 50-gal water heaters. They are 6-year warranty models and are 6 1/2 years old. One tank just began leaking. My conundrum is: Should I replace both WH's at the same time or just wait for the second one to fail? I'll be doing the labor so I won't save on installation by doing one or both. They're plumbed in series and have a recirculation loop. I'm leaning on replacing both so I can do the entire job once. Comments? Wisdom? Experience? Thanks!!
    Well 6.5 years is a pretty short life time and they *should* out last that. I'd think that you got unlucky 1/2 what are the chances you get unlucky 2/2. So I'd probably only replace the 1 tank. Hell the non-leaking tank might out last the new one you put into replace the leaking one!

Default heaters

The dynamics of a series installation, and that is the only way I install them, is that the initial one will usually fail several times before the second one does because the precipitation of minerals, which is a primary cause of failure, will occur in the first one.