Leak at ball valve nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Spta97

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had to rerun the copper lines to my bathroom and was replacing the old bendable copper pipe so I had to do a lot of close-quarter fittings in the ceiling to get the pipe to go where I needed it to - it was a complete nightmare (I didn't know about the heatsink trick at the time).

After several failed attempts (and a pretty bad solder burn) I got all 4 ball valves and multiple fittings soldered in a very tight area but I just noticed (a few months later) that one of the 3/4" ball valves has a slow drip from under the nut where the handle is attached.

Is it possible that I got it too hot and melted something or is it just a matter of replacing a washer? I want to do everything in my power not to disturb the joints.

Thanks..

Spta97

Reaction score
Fixed!

Well that seems to have done it! Thanks Pipepusher!!! :D

I used blue handled ball valves for the bathroom and red handled ones for the kitchen so I could tell them apart. The red ones appear to be a solid piece whereas the blue ones have a packing nut. I also checked the other blue one and that one had some green discoloration so I tightened it as well. The one that was actually dripping took a quarter turn of the wrench before it gave resistance so it was defintely loose.

I guess that you are meant to tighten these during installation so thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks