(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Hi guys another question.........

Default Hi guys another question.........

Ok new pipes put in....rise is a bit shorter than before of tank..maybe by an inch...because of space limitations with thicker Type B....

In any event the bad smell is gone as it looks like it was the adhesive...new issue now is that my cold water pipe heats up now whenever the burner kicks in (after a shower etc) It gets pretty warm to the touch and has me a bit worried as it never really did it before..my first guess is radiant heat spilling out of the flue? Some difference I am noticing is that draft hood is hot to touch..was not before just warm...also back left of hood is not as warm as front..whatever that means don't know.....am I over analyzing here?

Here are some pics

The pipe heats up all the way down to the expansion tank...my worry is the extremes....pipe gets cold cold water but also has that heat applied when burner runs...how concerned should I be?

Last pic shows gas line..was told not an issue as long as not touching

I'm sorry if I'm being a pita guys..I just want things to go right for me for once and just be done with this!! Oh first few feet are single wall as you can see

Thank you for any advice
    Last edited by vtxdude; 12-25-2009 at 07:57 AM.

the heated water in you tank naturally tends to rise, and some rises up into your cold entry pipe. it's not radiating from flue vent hood.
    no danger or problem from this, but you lose some efficiency as the heated water cools off.

there are piping techniques to counteract this, but it's probably not worth the trouble to do that after the water heater is in.
    you could just insulate the pipe to reduce heat loss

Ok thank you! So no issue even though the pipes seem to warm up all the way down to the expansion tank? Maybe this always did this and never noticed.....venting would not have any effect right? (since I just switched it out)

Actually now that I think of it the pipe does feel even warm up past the shut off valve but not as warm as closer to the tank...wow I would have thought the Kenmore Power Miser 9 would have had something in place to combat this?

I know Bradford White states they have built in heat traps....Kenmore no?

BTW single wall flue pipe requires 6" clearance from combustibles, b-vent is 1", I don't see either there.
    Last edited by zl700; 12-25-2009 at 01:27 PM.

The singlewall portion of the pipe does not come near any combust type stuff..the wrap on plenum was cut off that section and the B vent has the
    3M fire blankets stuffed between the wood/insulation and the pipe. It is ice cold behind those blankets, they really do the job thats for sure

I don't think I have spillage at the draft hood...when it first turns on you feel a blast around the hood but after a few seconds it starts to draft decently..

I was concerened about the copper cold pipe getting warm all the way to the expansion tank and a little beyond maybe up to just past the shut off valve....it doesnt get as warm as it does right near the connection but there is a temp change

I asked on a few other forums and most have said that it is normal as when hot water heats it expands and needs somewhere to go..so it will creep out the cold water pipe and is not something to be concerned with. I wanted to check with the experts here as well..I do have a check valve on the water meter out in the garage so a closed system?

I would have thought that the Smith/Kenmore might have something in place to limit this but apparently not?