(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Wax Ring Replaced and toilet still leaks

DIY Junior Member

Default Wax Ring Replaced and toilet still leaks

I replaced the wax ring (extra wax ring type) and the water around the toliet base still came out. I lifted the toliet out and seal appeared to be good.
    Current ring has been on for about 5 years.

Replaced the wax ring with another one of the same type and still leaked.

Thanks.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Where is the toilet flange in relation to the top of the floor? Did the wax ring actually get compressed when you set the toilet? Did the toilet rock any after it was installed? It must be shimmed so it is perfectly stable, or the wax will squish in one end, and when you rock back the other way, then leave a gap...the wax doesn't rebound like a spring...once compressed, it stays that way. If the seal is good, are you sure it is not leaking between the tank and the bowl? If all else is good, then there may be a defect in the toilet, or it is damaged (cracked) and leaking there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

DIY Junior Member

Default Wax ring replaced and toliet still leaks

Thanks for response - see my responses below.

Where is the toilet flange in relation to the top of the floor? - Sits below floor - Peel and stick tile squares and the underlayment are around it. Did the wax ring actually get compressed when you set the toilet? - Yes, wax was around the flange. Did the toilet rock any after it was installed? - No.

2 things you can double check.

1) make sure the toilet flange is firmly fastened to the floor with screws.

2) make sure your toilet tank bolts are not leaking.(toilet tank should not move . It should sit firm on the back of the bowl)

The ideal location of the flange is on top of the finished floor. You say the vinyl tile and underlayment are around the flange. If I read this correctly, this means the flange is recess below the level of the floor quite a bit. If this is true, then you need to remedy this by either adding an extension ring or with a thicker wax ring. Do not use wax rings with the plastic funnel, just a plain ring. You could also use a waxless ring such as the Fluidmaster.

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.