(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sharkbite Questions Code Leaks hate em like em

Previous member

Union or drain coupling. Yep, Watts are plastic. I think there is another company making plastic ones too. Maybe Gator bite?

Never needed a jet sweat for a drain...I would use a banded coupling.....a union leaves you in the same situation, unable to sweat a joint because of water, unless you are installing a valve...

quote; Repair the leaking pipe with a solder coupling,

NO conscientious, law abiding plumber would repair an underground leak inside the house with a soft solder joint. And unless you use oxy/acetylene brazing or silver soldering in a hole is almost impossible. But it WOULD require a lot more billable time. I have not seen a Sharkbite large enough to repair a drain.
    Last edited by hj; 02-13-2010 at 08:06 AM.

and while Sharkbites are OK for underground repairs per the Sharkbite info. I would never use one of them for an underground repair...even if approved localy...

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    A jet sweat will only work if your installing a valve...BTW sharkbites are brass not plastic...your thinking of Watts...
    We carry a jet sweat kit from 1/2"- 2". You stated you use sharkbites when a main shutoff won't close all the way so why not use a jet sweat and install a new valve. This would solve not just the imitate problem but would also solve future problems.

John

Previous member

Who said anything about underground or under slab? That be a whole different kettle o fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Who said anything about underground or under slab? That be a whole different kettle o fish.
    That was the original subject of the thread. Read the very first post.

Previous member

Oh yes, thanks. So then we're talking brazing the joint or a dresser coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    We carry a jet sweat kit from 1/2"- 2". You stated you use sharkbites when a main shutoff won't close all the way so why not use a jet sweat and install a new valve. This would solve not just the imitate problem but would also solve future problems.

John
    I asked and they didn't want to spring for a new valve....had they wanted a new valve I would have had the town find or install a new curb stop...

Default Give us a break

Quote Originally Posted by dx View Post
    Yes I can do that myself and I can do pretty much everything my plumber can do regardless of what kind of fittings are used.

As a GC, the reason I use a plumber is the same reason I use a carpenter, a mason, an electrician and a painter. I stick to my job and let them do theirs.

I don't consider sharbites inferior to soldered fittings at all. And if the pipes cannot be completely purged of water, I consider the sharkbites to be more reliable.
    Take it outside and lets get back to helpful tips!

It's 3 months old Eddie, let it die
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Hays View Post
    It's 3 months old Eddie, let it die
    Good idea!

No point in arguing when the difference between a SharkBite and a Schwinn Coupling can't be realized...

As far as relying on EPDM o-rings to hold back water under pressure I guess we'll just have to sweat it out over all the Pro-Press, flushometers, faucets, mixers, and other stuff that uses o-rings to seal...

I'm Sweating... Some of them time bombs have been ticking 35 years without a problem yet...

Oh well...
    I'll continue to use SharkBites in situations where there use is warranted...
    They have saved the day for me and my customers on many occasions...
    They are a valuable tool in the plumbers tool box, but they aren't the only tool in there...
    The key is knowing when to reach for it....

DIY Junior Member idratherbeplumbing's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    What's not honest about billing for hours of time? I thought that is the whole point of doing service

Ask yourself (if you are old enough) what on earth did plumbers ever do before sharkbites, aav's, ferncos, flexi supplies and all the other labor saving miracles we have now. I'll tell you what, WE MADE MORE MONEY! and we did it the right way.
    i agree. wise man once told me. make it hard for them to work on. as soon as joe blow realizes he can make a connection with bare hands and even use a span wrench to remove it. what are you going to do with all your copper fittings

DIY Junior Member idratherbeplumbing's Avatar

you want a 5 minute house?