(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharkbite Questions Code Leaks hate em like em

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John
    Then you've obviously never had to make a repair in large commercial building like an apartment building where you sometime have to wait a LONG time for the building to drain.

Or you've never had a leak up around a corner where you can barely reach let alone solder.

Would I use a sharkbite on a readily accessible chunk of pipe? Ofcourse not.

But they can save you HOURS of time in certain situations.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    Then you've obviously never had to make a repair in large commercial building like an apartment building where you sometime have to wait a LONG time for the building to drain.

Or you've never had a leak up around a corner where you can barely reach let alone solder.

Would I use a sharkbite on a readily accessible chunk of pipe? Ofcourse not.

But they can save you HOURS of time in certain situations.
    You have no idea of what experience I do or do not have. There are many ways to make repair on water lines in large buildings with out having to wait for all the water to drain, after you have the time and experience in the trade that I have you to may be able to make these repairs with out sharkbites.

John

You have no idea of what experience I do or do not have. There are many ways to make repair on water lines in large buildings with out having to wait for all the water to drain, after you have the time and experience in the trade that I have you to may be able to make these repairs with out sharkbites.

John
    I didn't mean it to be offensive!

Ofcourse there are many ways to make repairs without sharkbites.

Pasco quick sweat tool...
    Ridgid freezing machine...
    The old bread trick....

etc.

But still sometimes nothing beats a sharkbite!!!!!

Previous member

OK, but what did you do 10 years ago?

“Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. Darth Vader

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    OK, but what did you do 10 years ago?

“Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. Darth Vader
    Waited

Most plumbers have a minimum charge of one hr. The question becomes would you rather have a sharkbite or a soldered joint? I don't see where a sharkbite can save you hrs. of time to solder one joint.

John
    The only fitting that I would use under ground copper to copper is a flare coupling.Or you could use a pack coupling.

Default sharkbite

I tried a sharkbite 4" sleeve the other night to fix a leak. THe existing pipe was less than pristine lol and the sleeve would not seal even though it was seated down the 1" required. The pipes gotta be in very good condition and line up, which mine are not. It was a real pain trying to get the thing off again with that little collet tool. I had to assist it with an 18" prybar.

Rubber seals it what they use inside. Are you kidding me? Even if I could have gotten one to seal, I'm skeptical that these would hold up after a few years. Rubber high tech silicon etc will break down eventually. I see these as a stop gap temporary solution. They would be okay if you have ready access like a basement but hidden in the walls?

I like shark bites but would never use them where they are not accessible or could fail and create water damage. I have had several 3/4" tee's fail with cracks in the cast. They are an excellent stop gap repair.. Our local building inspectors do not like them,

DIY Member

Peter Griffin should change his avatar to include Master Thief" What he really stated was that if there is a quick way to do a repair he will pick the long way to increase his billable hours. Amazing that he thinks that is honest.

Moisheh

Previous member

Tell you what. If you call me for a leaking pipe I'll slap one of these on it and I won't charge you a penny. Name:  Schwinn%20Repair.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  90.3 KB

Do you want it done, or do you want it done right?

After looking at a job I charge a flat rate to do it...so all is well for me reguardless...they can take it or leave it but I get a minimum for coming out just to tell them and they won't know if I am using a sharkbite or not unless they ask...as I don't describe every fitting I am going to use to do a particular job...all they have to know is I stand behind my work...

Previous member

Quote Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
    Peter Griffin should change his avatar to include Master Thief" What he really stated was that if there is a quick way to do a repair he will pick the long way to increase his billable hours. Amazing that he thinks that is honest.

Moisheh
    If you want the quick way, then toddle on down to the Depot and pick up a couple of sharkbites for yourself. You don't need to hire a plumber to slap a sharkbite on it. Anyone can do it. While you are at it, pick up a couple of those accordian tail stocks and a handful of rubber P traps and you will never have to spend a dime on a job done right ever again.

John
    I will tell you...when you have to make a repair and the main shutoff won't close all the way and water is leaking by...you say turn the water off at the curb stop???...not if one can't be found...sorry I don't carry a nitrogen freeze set up that I can use once every 15 years or so...so I used a sharkbite...nope I don't have a jet sweat or any thing else either....not enough call to carry one on the truck...sharkbites do have a place in some situations....conpression fitting...I would rather use a sharkbite in the situation I was in than a compression fitting...
    Last edited by Cass; 02-13-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Previous member

I always had a 1/2" and a 3/4 jet swett on the truck. Just so though, why do you prefer a sharkbite over a compression union? IMO the compression coupling is a much more solid connection, not that I would do that either. The problem with sharkbites is they will leak if they are pulled on or stressed. Also I have been reading of quite a lot of O ring failures also. Granted most of them are because someone did'nt take the sharp edge off the copper before jamming it on. I have a problem with putting my faith in a piect of plastic with a couple of O rings in it.

A jet sweat will only work if your installing a valve...BTW sharkbites are brass not plastic...your thinking of Watts...