(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure drop

Default Pressure drop

after my submersible pump pumps up to the set pressure of #60 it stops as it should but the pressure on the gauge drops immediately to #50. I
    ve tried this running water through the cycle and again shutting off the faucet as soon as it starts to pump....

no air in the lines.

xtrol bladder pressure is #29....................

the check valve rattles during filling..(i was told this can happen)...is it possible the check valve is bleeding pressure until it gets to something it can handle??

Either the check valve is leaking or the water line from the pump to the pressure gauge is leaking. Check valves usually don't rattle if they are good.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

Is the pressure switch set 40/60 ? if so it should have 3 lbs of air in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Is the pressure switch set 40/60 ? if so it should have 3 lbs of air in the tank.
    Peter meant to say it should have 38 lbs of air in the tank if the pressure switch is set 40/60.

Previous member

Fat fingers

Thanks

it looks like the low end is around 38.........29 is still low but should not cause what i'm seeing..........

i like the check valve idea....it does take a little longer to pump up to pressure..

thanx for the help guys.....now I can talk to my plumber and impress him....on second thought he might charge me more....i'll play dumb.....

have a merry

Previous member

Try this. Let it pump up and shut off and then shut the breaker off to the pump and see how far it continues to drop, if at all. If it drops to zero, you probably have a bad check valve or a line leak. If it only drops the 10 lbs, try changing the gauge or just forget about it.

If the pressure falls to like 40 and the pump comes on, it can't be the gauge...
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

I should have said " and the pump comes on"

it does the pressure drop but still has enough pressure to prevent the low setting from kicking it on...I can draw water until the low switch kicks on...

he just makes me nervous to watch the gauge go to 60 and then drop if the system is closed at that time the pressure i being lost somewhere..

Previous member

If....... you have all the faucets shut off and you are not drawing water and.... the pump does not come on for no reason then I would forget about it and enjoy your Christmas Turkey. It's probably a bad gauge

I say it is a bad check valve or other leak and if he runs the pump at 40/60, then he needs to get 39-38 psi air pressure in the tank with no water in it.

Previous member

Yea, it very well could be, but as long as the pump ain't cycling I don't think I would screw with it. He probably has a check at the tank inlet as well as the one on the pump.

ummmm building up to 60 and then falling back to 50 right away, if the switch is set for 40/60, the pump is coming on at 40 and the gauge shows the decrease it can't be the gauge but, the the pump is cycling 2 times as often as it would with the other 10 psi in the tank. And cycling kills pump motors.

Usually things that aren't working right don't get better, they get worse and it is easier and smarter to replace something now when he has water than doing it maybe the end of Jan. when he has no water and no choice.

Previous member

Did he say the pump was cycling? I thought he said it drops from 60 to 50 and stays there.