thermostat--wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Danl02026

retired
Reaction score
I was helping a friend rewire a dead thermostat--we rewired the the new thermostat it only had four wires for the old one and we put the wires where the color are supposed to go..but the air conditioner fan outside is running. Is it supposed to? my friend said he never noticed it before doing that! any help would be welcomed..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you notice where the wires were on the old one? They may not have been hooked up to the 'proper' color. The a/c is normally the yellow wire (if I remember correctly). If it is on the fan control terminal, or you have a tail or strand shorted to more than one terminal, that could cause it. Take a close look, and make sure the wire is wrapped around only one terminal and isn't hitting two. You don't want the a/c running while you need heat (unless it is a heat pump!).

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Did you notice where the wires were on the old one? They may not have been hooked up to the 'proper' color. The a/c is normally the yellow wire (if I remember correctly). If it is on the fan control terminal, or you have a tail or strand shorted to more than one terminal, that could cause it. Take a close look, and make sure the wire is wrapped around only one terminal and isn't hitting two. You don't want the a/c running while you need heat (unless it is a heat pump!).

The colours of the wire mean nothing.

What you need to do is check @ the furnace to see where each wire is hooked up and then hook them up to the thermostat in the same fashion.

Never trust the colours of the wire.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for giving us a follow up on your problem. I think you have proved the value of something I have always been taught: VISUAL troubleshooting is the best first step. You found your white wire problem and your empty tank!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks