(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Thermostat - Where to insert wires?

Default Thermostat - Where to insert wires?

I have am replacing a thermostat. Out of the wall, there is a red and white wire. I am not sure what to connect it to on the new thermostat.

I am not sure if I insert the wires in the top or front, then tighten the screw?

Here are some pic's. http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...s/DSC00861.jpg and http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...s/DSC00866.jpg and http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...s/DSC00867.jpg and here is a picture of the directions http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...s/DSC00868.jpg

Red to "Rh" and white to "W" and you're good to go! Loosen the screw in front, insert the wire in the top, then re-tighten the screw. The holes on the front are for the thermostat to connect to the back plate when you snap the thermostat onto the backplate. Those should be clear. Be sure to fold the wires flat to the backplate.
    Last edited by Spaceman Spiff; 12-23-2009 at 06:51 AM.
    Spaceman Spiff aka Mike

Red - RH ...but should I leave the little "jumper" thing there (connecting the Rh and Rc) and stuff the wire in there beside the "jumper" thing?

I saw these "holes" in the front. I wasn't sure if I should insert the wire in there or the top.

and...

What do you mean "fold the wire flat to the back plate"?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by coopns; 12-23-2009 at 09:43 AM.

You feed the wires in through the back plate through the rectangular hole with rounded corners.

The wires then go into the screws the same way that jumper is insterted. The square holes on the front are for the pins on the front portion of the thermostat.

Fold the wires means have them as flush to the back plate as possible. If you have too big/bulky amount of wires when you connect then you will have a hard time getting the front part to just snap in.

Most of the time the jumper doens't get removed. If you read the instructions it will say so. Since you have only 2 wires I'm guessing this is a straight forward heating system thermostat. It gets more complex when you have A/C in the mix.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coopns View Post
    I saw these "holes" in the front. I wasn't sure if I should insert the wire in there or the top.
    The holes in the front are where the front part make it's connection. Look at the front half and you will see the corresponding pins.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

I see where the front 'holes' connect with the pins. Thanks.

I think I got'er except for as I noted earlier..." should I leave the little "jumper" there (connecting the Rh and Rc) and stuff the wire in there beside the "jumper"? I don't have the directions accessible.

Almost there.

Thanks again.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Leave the jumper there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Rh is for heat and Rc is for cool. Since you have heat only, the jumper doesn't matter at all. It won't hurt anything to leave it or take it out. Leaving it in place is just simpler is all.
    Spaceman Spiff aka Mike