(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Boiler still shuts off

Default Boiler still shuts off

We have been workiing on this for 5 weeks so far. HVAC tech had no idea. I thought we had it fixed. Last night added water to system, brought pressure up. it worked great for hours. Every radiator heated, system came on and off as needed. Woke up this morning cold. Same thing, runs for only 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. Gets to high limit as if pump is not circulating to cool it down. ARGH! it was working last night. I bled all the radiators again, pressure has not changed and return is cold. PUMP< PUMP< it has to be the pump? Last night it was obviously running...........last night I did the victory dance, thinking it was water and pressure. ARgh....ideas? Think the pump might have a mind of its own??

Cristanb

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the water level was actually low, and, the pump ran dry for any bit, it may be shot. Those pumps have a water lubricated bearing...run them dry, and they can seize up fairly quickly.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mudslider View Post
    We have been workiing on this for 5 weeks so far. HVAC tech had no idea. I thought we had it fixed. Last night added water to system, brought pressure up. it worked great for hours. Every radiator heated, system came on and off as needed. Woke up this morning cold. Same thing, runs for only 3 to 5 minutes then shuts off. Gets to high limit as if pump is not circulating to cool it down. ARGH! it was working last night. I bled all the radiators again, pressure has not changed and return is cold. PUMP< PUMP< it has to be the pump? Last night it was obviously running...........last night I did the victory dance, thinking it was water and pressure. ARgh....ideas? Think the pump might have a mind of its own??

Cristanb
    Pull the pump out and run it so you can watch the impeller spin. This way you'll know for sure if it's working or not.

Default pull pump?

It is a taco 007 with the cartridge. not sure how to pull it and run it at the same time..original tech said it was working..do not think it is anymore.b

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mudslider View Post
    It is a taco 007 with the cartridge. not sure how to pull it and run it at the same time..original tech said it was working..do not think it is anymore.b
    You should beable to seperate the motor from the volute... Usually 4 allen screws hold the motor to the volute.

Default finally

Well, I think we had two issues...Low water and air AND an intermediate short in the wiring at the pump. My step son as here for Christmas, he is a journeybman Electrician. We thought it was the pump and he confirmed and was able to "fix" it until we can replace it.
    Thanks for all the input..it all helped.

Cristan