Heating formulas

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocki

Reaction score
I am installing a new hot water boiler replacing the existing one. Have added more space. Where do i find a calculation sheet to determine boiler size?

Lightwave

Reaction score
You're talking about a heating boiler, right?

What you need to do won't fit on one spreadsheet. You need to do a Manual J load calculation to find the heating needs of your space and then size the boiler as required. Manual J is very involved; the only practical way to do the calculation is with specialized software. HVAC Calc and RHVAC work well.

Reaction score
Even Manual J is just an estimate.

Have you heated your home and additional space through a winter with the existing boiler? If so and if you have a monthly record of utility usage, then you could combine that with daily average temps over the same periods to estimate actual sizing required. The usage over a given time period with given average temperature can be scaled to determine peak usage at the design temps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks