Monoflow to Series loop conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

mfdyno

Reaction score
I have a two-story Cape Cod house with a monoflow heating system. There is a single 1-1/4" black pipe main down the center of the basement, which splits at the end into two 3/4" branches, one for each side of the house. There are monoflow tees that feed the 1st & 2nd floors. Off of each Tees are 1/2" risers to each of the Rads. I want to separate the 7 Rads on the 2nd floor into it's own zone, using it’s own flow control valve and either zone valves or another B&S pump.
1)- Can I change the 2nd floor into to a series loop system by itself (not Monoflow) if I provide its own separate main, pump (or zone valve), flow-control valve and return?
2) - If it has to be another Monoflow branch for the 2nd floor, can I use 3/4" piping for the main feed and the return? Will I disrupt the balance of the entire system by splitting off the 2nd floor, using the existing pump, two flow control valves and two zone valves (one for each floor)?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
monoflo

I find it hard to visualize how a 3/4" main with 1/2" MonoFlo tees would be able to service sever radiators on the second floor with any kind of an acceptable comfort level. The problem with converting it to a loop system, unless you repiped the entire system, is that once you connected to the first set of 1/2" risers, the rest of the system would be "starved" due to the flow restriction it would cause. Personally, I think you need a heating calculation and a redesigned installation. Your water velocity rates in the pipes must be huge if it is working properly.

Last edited:

mfdyno

Reaction score
Monoflow to Series loop conversion - Correction

I made an error. Last night I rechecked the pipe sizes. The main looks like at lease 1-1/2", which splits off into two 1" pipe sub-mains. Each of those 1" sub-mains do have monoflow Tees with 1/2" risers to the Rads.
If I was to split the 2nd floor off onto itself, there will only be be 7 rads. Could I use a 3/4" main, feeding the existing 1/2" risers to the 2nd floor?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks