hot water tank life span

Users who are viewing this thread

Rburt5

Reaction score
About how long does a typical hot water tank last? Mine is from 1996 and I'm thinking about starting to save up for a new one. My house has very hard well water - in case that matters.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Start saving, most last from 7 to 10 years. Yours is over do.

John

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Assuming it's a NG WH, and assuming my samples are representative of all NG WHs, the avg. replacement age is 17 yrs, +/- 3 yrs.
Wearout age, when you get an increasing failure rate for each component, is equal to or longer than this.

Given that it has survived this long, you have an even chance of making it to ~19 yrs.

Last edited:

Curlysir

Reaction score
It depends on your location and quality of water. In the Texas panhandle where I lived for 30 years, 10 years life was very unusal, 6 to 7 was average. Water was hard and corroded the plumbing and appliances. Where I live now in east Texas I replaced a 12 year old heater that when I examined it after removal was in good shape. I replaced it based on my previous experience which did not apply in this location. Water here is much better and plumbing has much longer life.

From your descripition I would say yours is getting close to the life expectancy.

Reaction score
It probably also depends on how hard you run it. If you have 6 people in a household, use several times the Energy Guide quantity of hotwater and crank the temp. up it will likely die much sooner than a heater running 30 F cooler and fired less frequently.

While running a higher temp could result in less total water throughput there are at least two major negatives with regard to heater life: 1. Wall/flue temps will be higher, and corrosion rates generally increase rapidly with temperature. 2. The mineral carbonates in water generally have retrograde solubility--meaning that they precipitate more easily at higher temperatures. The is the opposite of most other solids which dissolve more readily as the solvent (water) becomes hotter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks