Slippery tile floor in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

SkyJan

Reaction score
Our ceramic tile shower floor is slippery when taking a shower. Using a mat with suction cups is not a satisfactory solution. I have seen a couple of products advertised on the internet that are supposed to solve the problem by etching the tile to roughen up the surface a bit. But these products are only available on line and no one in this are seems to know anything about how effective they might be.
What would you recommend?
Thanks for any advice.
SJ

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

You used the wrong tile for the floor. Etching the surface might make them less slippery, but it could also create a coarse unglazed surface which will allow dirt to become imbedded in the "pores" created.

SkyJan

Reaction score
You used the wrong tile for the floor. Etching the surface might make them less slippery, but it could also create a coarse unglazed surface which will allow dirt to become imbedded in the "pores" created.

The tile shower was put in by a tile contractor. Tile showers, countertops and floors is his specialty. I just assumed he would do the right thing. Wouldn't it be un-ethical for him to put in the wrong tile? I don't know, we are just ordinary John Doe home owners not educated in such things.

Have you heard of this product called Johny Grip which is supposed to be especially made for tile? It's an etching type product I believe.

If you don't recommend this type product, what about the stick-on products?

Or would there be a better solution?

Thanks
SJ

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In commercial properties with marble floors, like an office lobby, they use special floor treatments that, although they give tile floors a nice shine, actually have anti-slip properties. I would wonder if you couldn't get something similar for your shower tiles.

I did a web search on "non slip shower tile" and found a number of products such as this, which don't actually etch the tiles. Here's one site:

http://www.ndclean.com/noslipsystems.html

I have not actually used any of these products so can't attest to how well they work or how long they last.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can we assume that you picked out the tile?? If you chose a wall tile for the floor, he or the tile store should have steered you straight. If you do have a shower floor tile, but it is still too slippery for you, go to see a good tile store for recommendations.

tilelayher

Reaction score
Tile for shower floors is usually a mosaic type 2x2 or 4x4 hand set (meaning the 2x2 is on a mesh sheet and the larger isn't). All tile for shower floors should be a matte finish this makes it less slippery and suitable for the wet environment. Sounds like you may have a glossy tile in your shower the tile store should have informed you before you made your purchase about the specifics of the tile.

SkyJan

Reaction score
Tile for shower floors is usually a mosaic type 2x2 or 4x4 hand set (meaning the 2x2 is on a mesh sheet and the larger isn't). All tile for shower floors should be a matte finish this makes it less slippery and suitable for the wet environment. Sounds like you may have a glossy tile in your shower the tile store should have informed you before you made your purchase about the specifics of the tile.

So in view of my present situation, what would you recommend?

SkyJan

Reaction score
I'm wondering how long now since you've used the slipdoctors product? I understand from some that there is a question as to whether or not these products work over the long haul.How has it been for you?

SkyJan

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. I will be checking out the websites mentioned.

SkyJan

Reaction score
I continue to be interested in the stick-on strips as well. Has anyone had actual experience with it on tile and specific info as to what might be a good brand or type to use?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks