corner shower drain help - please-

Users who are viewing this thread

tinhorse

Reaction score
Hi I am new to remodeling a bathroom and need a little help. I am wanting to install a corner shower in my basement bathroom. I have two walls which measure 33 1/2' and 32 1/4" in which i am planning to place my shower walls on. The drain is in an odd spot though measuring 19" from the back wall and 14" from the side wall. Can I install a corner shower base without moving the drain in the concrete floor? or do I have to move the drain to be able to install the shower base. Not too sure how they work. thanks for any advice you may have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pre-formed bases have their drain where they want, and it is seldom where your drain currently is! Fact...

So, your choices are move it, or build a custom shower. That is a fairly small shower, and will barely be above the minimum required to meet code. Many people would find it confining. It'll work, but if you can make it a little bigger, you'd find it more pleasant.

Building a custom shower isn't all that tough, but like anything, there are critical things to ensure you get right or it will fail.

If the existing drain is quite old, it may be worth it to tear the current drain out so you can judge the overall state...it would be a pain to build a new shower using the old drain and trap and to find out that it is rotten through and leaks.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help in building a tiled shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The drain will typically be either 12" from both rear walls, 16", or 18" depending on the make and model. But it is a FIXED dimension so you either move the walls to make it work or relocate the shower drain in the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks