PE pipe work for deep well jet "packer ejector" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Alan

Reaction score
Elsewhere, one fellow commented (in Florida) that he sees PE pipe used on deep well jet pump ejectors.

(He didn't say in what size casing exactly...)

I am trying to set a 'packer ejector' down to 70' depth (in a 95' deep, 2" PVC cased new well).

Any chance PE pipe can be used in my situation ?

Many thanks for your help.

David :)

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've set packers on PE but not PVC cased wells.

I don't think I would use glue joints. You need thinwall couplings

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks for confirming, Gary.

On Sch 40, do you mean with carefully solvent welded joints or using M/F Adaptors or ???

Thanks,

David Alan :)
"Carefully" or not man! glue the stuff up after using cleaner or primer and yer done.

You use solvent welded or threaded couplers and I don't know of any other widely used way but there is a rarely used and hard to find PVC pipe system with pinned bell connectors.

I would use threaded couplers only because at some time in the future you will be pulling the stuff out of the well and if you want to reuse it, you don't want to cut it and use more couplers to put it back in the well.

You've been told you can't use bell ended anything because of the clearance needed in your 2" pipe. Now getting thin walled threaded couplers seems to be the only way to go because PE may not be able to be used because of what you said about it earlier not going into the packer right. So put things on hold until you get the right couplers and then go for it.

IMO you should have drilled at least a 5" well and used a submersible pump.

PE is used on submersible pumps to 500'+/- and single/two line shallow/deep well jet pumps but not vertical jet pumps and probably not with packer type systems.

David Alan

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thanks for your helpful replies.

With what you all are making plain, I will with any future wells, drill large enough for a submersible pump.

Honestly, I was hoping to not have to go 95', and only having room for a 2" casing.

Maybe I should reconsider setting the jet at 70', a bit higher up, say 60'. The static water level is 10'. I don't want to run dry. It sounds like I'm on the ragged edge of what a deep well jet pump can do, eh.

On couplers, they say you can't thread Schedule 40 due to insufficient wall thickness. Do you agree ? If so, it would seem to leave few options......

Many thanks,

David Alan

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
nope, sch 40 is way too thin to thread. Well actually it will thread, but the threaded area will be so weak that I would never trust it. Sch 0 though threads just fine.

David Alan

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply....

Peter,

Yes sir, that makes sense. With no readily available source of Schedule 80, it's 'back to the drawing board', it would seem....

Long drive towards Houston (2.5 hours) to find Sch 80 & thin-wall Couplings or........

thanks, David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks