Task order on 2nd fl remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

jps

Reaction score
I have gutted my 2nd floor (1 1/2 story) to the studs with ceiling takedown...but no plans for vaulted ceilings..just better insulation. I have had a contractor confirm that my demo was very good....(all DIY, no permits.)

I would like opinoins on the order of tasks.
I am attacking it this way:

1) Plumbing (adding a bathroom directly above the one on 1st fl.)
2) Wiring & fixture install.
3) Insulation
4) Sheetrock & Tiling
6) Finish plumbing
5) Painting
6) Flooring

I know many details are missing but are there any big picture thoughts to my order?

Also, I plan on redoing some of the 1st floor bathroom and also adding a basement bathroom directly below the 1st floor (all three will be aligned) it makes sense to me to do it all at once. Am I right? (i.e. all three bathroom jobs at once.)

Thanks in advance for any comments

TheZster

Reaction score
Going to permit the remodel?

Here the inspection more or less dictates a different approach..... added is my own preference for a couple of items

1. Plumbing rough in (inspection)
2. Electrical rough in (inspection) - no fixtures/outlets/switches
3. Insulation (inspection)
4. Drywall (inspection)
5. Texture and paint (do early while spatters won't hurt floors/fixtures/cabinetry)
6. Final electrical (fixtures/outlets/switches )(inspection)
7. Cabinetry
8. Final plumbing, less toilet
9. Tiling walls
10 Floors
11 set toilet now that your floor height is "finished"
12 final trim
13 final inspection

All three baths at the same time? Do you have a 4th available for use.... your family members are going to get tired of "freshening up" amongst the mess, dust, confusion of a remodel.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jps said:
I have gutted my 2nd floor (1 1/2 story) to the studs with ceiling takedown...but no plans for vaulted ceilings..just better insulation. I have had a contractor confirm that my demo was very good....(all DIY, no permits.)

Also, I plan on redoing some of the 1st floor bathroom and also adding a basement bathroom directly below the 1st floor (all three will be aligned) it makes sense to me to do it all at once. Am I right? (i.e. all three bathroom jobs at once.)

Unless you are a more astute DIY'er than the average, and since you do not plan to get any permits and inspections, (which are a function of the scope of the work to be performed, not whether it is DIY or not), then I can see many potential violations, especially since you plan to add bathrooms above and below the existing one, which will create their own piping requirements, not just putting tees in the line where you want them. And why would you need a contractor to verify the demo portion unless you were removing walls?

Last edited:

Finnegan

Reaction score
If you have a contractor willing to come in a check out your demolition work perhaps you know him well enough to work out a deal where he will help you out with the planning of the plumbing and electrical work and inspect your progress.

TheZster

Reaction score
finnegan said:
If you have a contractor willing to come in a check out your demolition work perhaps you know him well enough to work out a deal where he will help you out with the planning of the plumbing and electrical work and inspect your progress.

That way you can permit the job and do it properly..... Just remember, when you sell your home (one day) you are required to sign a disclosure that declares whether or not renovations were done under permit and approved...
In some states, you're liable for problems that come up later if you did it yourself without permitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks