Condensation lines

Users who are viewing this thread

sneezye

Reaction score
Would it be abnormal for an HVAC unit to have two condensation lines? I have two 3/4" pvc lines (one from each side of the unit) running down from my attic to the crawlspace under the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I hear, this is not abnormal...one is for the primary drip pan, the second is the emergency or secondary pan. If you ever walk by, you'd normally only see water coming from one. If you see it from the other, you have a problem, and it is time to fix it before you have a flood, ruining your ceilings and maybe walls and floor as well.

sneezye

Reaction score
and the next question...

IF that were the case, could they be combined into 1 pipe?
I am moving the pipes and would prefer to wye them together to avoid having 4 pipes running through my closet (the other two being the WH T&P and overflow). Not that 3 is that much better...

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
No, you cannot connect them to one pipe.
If you want to get rid of the secondary you should have a float switch installed (if possible with your existing arrangement) which would turn the unit off at a predetermined level in the pan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The whole idea of a secondary line is it is an entirely separate path, so if one has problems, the other can take up the slack.

sneezye

Reaction score
Alright. I will leave it as it is. It's better to find things correct than to find things... well, messed up. Thanks, guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks