Angle Stop Recommendations - Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteD

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I want to upgrade my leaking angle stops (the whole house has drippy ones) and I want nice ones for the toilets/pedestal sink.

Photos:
IMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5988.jpg

Right now I have a stub of 1/2 copper at the wall, sweated to what I assume was an assembly of a chromed 1/2 pipe with a cheap angle stop on the end.

Questions:

Does anyone have recommendations for some nice chromed angle stops that won't leak (1/4 turn ball valves preferred - I hate gate valves)?

Should I sweat a new one close to the wall, or get an angle stop with a compression fitting for the chromed pipe I have now coming from the junction with the copper at the wall (cut off just the valve)?

I realize most wont see them, but I will now they are there. Plus the hot water valve leaks even all the way open.

If anyone has photos of how they have rigged up their angle stops for a pedestal sink, I would love to see them. I am tiling the floor and will be doing wainscotting or beadboard as well, so now is the time to deal with these.

Thanks,
Pete

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Use 1/4 turn stops for replacements and you can install the supply lines the same way or install the stops heading down and have the supply lines longer and loupe them gently down and then in towards the drain then up to the faucet in a kind of U shape...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

1. You could NOT get gate valves for that application even if you liked them.
2. The chrome piece is oversized so you will NOT find a compression, or any other, valve to fit it.
3. You do not have sufficient tubing sticking out of the wall to cut the valve off.
4. You will have to "unsolder" the valve from the tubing, "wipe" the excess solder off the tubing (leaving a silvery coating on the tubing), and then tighten a compression valve to it.
5. You can use ANY compression valve you wish to, i.e. chrome, polished brass, multiturn, or 1/4 turn, etc.

PeteD

Reaction score
Thanks for the informative replies.

Are non-1/4 turn angle stops not gate valves? Maybe the correct term is globe valve? I had heard them referred to as gate valves by plumbers that I knew - at least for the in-line valves (shut offs). Maybe angle stops are different...

Could I sweat on a nipple and then thread an angle stop on after doing the bead board or wainscotting? I would need that to fit under the escutcheon (correct term??)...

I am worried about clearance from the wall for sweating the new joint if I add 3/8" bead board for instance. I do have a heat shield, but I think that might be tight...

Any good manufacturers (or ones to avoid) for quality angle stops?

Edit: I think compression is actually the way to go (thanks HJ), so I would probably have close to the correct amount of copper sticking out even after adding bead board....not sure if compression are designed to fit against wall - I need to check some designs.

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks