Sch 40 solvent glue joint OK 4 single pipe jet pump to 95' ?

Users who are viewing this thread

David Alan

Reaction score
Hi all:

What a great forum. I appreciate any attention & help you can provide.

We're located in East Texas, and just finished drilling my well recently.

Lots of clay, but we found several gravel strata & then bottomed out out on rock at 94' deep.

Installed 2" PVC well casing, bottom 5' is well screen, gravel packed. Static water level 10'.

I've searched archives to get an answer to this question, but nothing found.

I'm installing a 1/2 hp jet pump & tank, with a 'packer adapter' for a 2" casing. I guess known as a 'single-pipe' jet pump system.

This calls for 1.25" 'drop pipe', down to the 'packer jet' assembly.

The diagram I have shows that threaded Schedule 80 PVC, is recommended for the drop pipe. It is just nearly impossible to find Sch 80 1.25" locally.

Is it correct to reason that Schedule 40 if carefully solvent glued could be employed, given that I'm not hanging a heavy submirsible pump, just a jet assembly ?

[Using 20' sections with belled ends....]

Thanks in advance for any help or advice !

David Alan

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi all:

What a great forum. I appreciate any attention & help you can provide.

We're located in East Texas, and just finished drilling my well recently.

Lots of clay, but we found several gravel strata & then bottomed out out on rock at 94' deep.

Installed 2" PVC well casing, bottom 5' is well screen, gravel packed. Static water level 10'.

I've searched archives to get an answer to this question, but nothing found.

I'm installing a 1/2 hp jet pump & tank, with a 'packer adapter' for a 2" casing. I guess known as a 'single-pipe' jet pump system.

This calls for 1.25" 'drop pipe', down to the 'packer jet' assembly.

The diagram I have shows that threaded Schedule 80 PVC, is recommended for the drop pipe. It is just nearly impossible to find Sch 80 1.25" locally.

Is it correct to reason that Schedule 40 if carefully solvent glued could be employed, given that I'm not hanging a heavy submirsible pump, just a jet assembly ?

[Using 20' sections with belled ends....]

Thanks in advance for any help or advice !

David Alan
Sch 40 is more than adequate even for a submersible pump (depending on the hp and gpm rating). Sch 80 is overkill.

David Alan

Reaction score
THANKS for the reply.....

Sch 40 is more than adequate even for a submersible pump (depending on the hp and gpm rating). Sch 80 is overkill.

Gary, thanks for your take on things.

I wasn't sure if the solvent weld joints were strong enough, compared to threaded joints.

The other aspect is the size of the threaded couplers. It's hard to find the reduced size threaded couplers. The OD of the "normal" galvanized couplers approaches the ID of my 2" casing, which would cut off the flow.

The bell coupler would help some. Especially if it's the case that a proper done solvent weld joint is strong enough -

Best Regards,

David Alan

David Alan

Reaction score
You need to install that drop pipe with 1/1/4" thin wall couplings! Bell end pipe will not fit.

aquaman

Thanks for your help.

I know the threaded thin wall 1 1/4" couplings would be ideal, but they're just not available locally. (small town east Texas)

So, the bell end is too large OD to fit inside 2" ?

Options might be:

In 1 1/4":

Slip x Slip normal couplings,
or
Slip x Slip deep couplings
or
Slip x Slip "insert" couplings (well supply shelf has them.... slight ID reduction)

What do you think ?

Thanks, David Alan

David Alan

Reaction score
Yes, what you say makes good sense !

But, even the tech / customer service guy there (Myers / Water Ace in Ohio) said the thin wall couplings were 'hard to find'.

So, in light of that, I'm wondering if the solvent welded option would work.

The 'Water Ace' well pump shelf at Lowes has the low profile 'insert' PVC couplings for 1 1/4" PVC.

In another thread I searched here, one man suggested solvent welding on male / female threaded couplers onto Sch 40 1 1/4".

It seems like even then, the clearance issue is still there (fittings too large).

Is it crazy to think about downsizing the drop pipe to 1" to allow narrower fittings ?

Or would that cut the flow down too much ?

Thanks for all your help !!

David Alan

David Alan

Reaction score
thanks for your reply....

Why not hang it on 1 1/4" PE ?

Peter,

As I'm new to this type of installation, I can only guess, that PE is more flexible like hose, not mostly rigid like Sch 40 / 80 pipe, correct ?

It doesn't seem like flexible pipe would have the rigidity needed to "push" the leather cupped, cast iron 'Packer Adapter' down to 70', inside the 2" casing.

Just a guess....

Please correct my every wrong idea...you guy know more than I do by a country mile....trying to learn from everyone.

I Appreciate your patience.;)

Many thanks, and Merry Christmas to all !

David Alan

David Alan

Reaction score
Order them online somewhere but you need thin wall couplings....

aquaman

May I ask for clarification, sir ? Are you saying this because the std size won't fit or will block the flow ?

The reason I ask is I can obtain 'insert pvc' couplings that keep the basic sch 40 pipe OD the same, as long as a solvent glue joint will work for a drop pipe.

I would happily do as you suggest and order the couplings, but I can't find schedule 80 pipe in 1 1/4" locally, that is my hang-up.

I may be able to locate schedule 80 pipe & couplings in 1", would that restrict flow or volume too much vs the 1 1/4" pipe ?

It's only a 1/2 hp jet pump and I need to place the jet at 70' max depth......

thanks for the help.....:)

David Alan

David Alan

Reaction score
THANKS for your reply....

The insert pvc couplings wont fit. You don't need sch 80, just get sch 40 and the thin wall couplings. How much water are you expecting to get with a 1/2 hp and the jet set at 70'?

aquaman

Aquaman,

Do you mean typical thin wall slip x slip couplings for Sch 40 ** ?

:confused:

I am not sure of the delivery potential of the well / aquafer, so the info with the pump suggested I'd be able to pump 3-4 gpm at 70', which figured to be about what the well SHOULD be able to produce, worst case scenario.

David Alan

** Some posts I researched before asking here said SCH 40 / solvent weld was OK for minimal depth & jet pump (not for submirsible), but not the best, the best being SCH 80 threaded, where readily available.

As I can't readily find SCH 80 threaded locally, I'm trying to figure out if the extra cost & effort to drive to Houston are truly worth it, and appreciate any feedback....

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks