Light Switch - Not sure what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I was changing the old light switch to a new white one. The old swtich has two black and a red wire. The new light switch has just two screws brass right?

I included some pic's of the old, new and inside the box.

And...does it matter where I connect the white and black if only two brass screws are on the new switch?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Coopns

Reaction score
There is. So I would need a 3 way switch?

And, as I asked earlier, does it matter where the black, red go on the switch...black to brass, white to ?

Thanks.

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
There is. So I would need a 3 way switch?

And, as I asked earlier, does it matter where the black, red go on the switch...black to brass, white to ?

Thanks.

Its hard to tell by your pictures, however on a three-way switch there is a common screw. It looks as best as i can tell the black goes on the common scerw. That is from you pics.

Last edited:

CodeOne

Code Enforcement
Reaction score
This looks like what you have as best as I can tell

Attachments

• 3wayboth.jpg
    3wayboth.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 253

Jim Port

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.manta.com
When you get your new 3 way switch, move the wire from the black colored screw to the odd colored screw on the new switch. Now move the other two wires to the other screws on the new switch. These do not matter, only the odd colored screw matters.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

IF your switch does not have the words "on" and "off" on it then you have a 3way switch and it DEFINITELY matter where you connect the wires to it. The two from the bright screws have to go to the new bright screws but can go to either one of the two. The dark, "common", screw is either the hot wire to the switches, or the load wire to the light, regardless of what the wire color is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks