Water coming out of 'overflow' in brine tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Kung

Reaction score
So I ordered and had installed a Fleck 5600 Econominder, 1.5 cu ft resin, 48K grains water softener. Suffice to say that it is DEFINITELY doing its job - there is an obvious difference in our water quality in all ways (showers, dishes, etc.)

However, I noticed that after the second regeneration there was a sort of 'dry salt puddle' on the ground (as if brine water had evaporated, leaving the salt behind).

I barely touched the brine tank, and water splashed out of the overflow elbow. Any suggestions?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you have the salt dose set correctly, or a large enough salt tank for the dose, then you have loose brine line connections, a blocked drain line or injector or injector screen or some internal leak allowing water to go into the salt tank when it shouldn't. If you can't find the cause yourself, you may want to call the place you bought it from and ask them to help you go through everything to find the cause.

Kung

Reaction score
Doing some quick research, I have discovered a few things:

1. The water inside the brine well is just even with the overflow elbow. (Duh.)

2. More importantly, I noticed that the float rod was all the way up (as it should have been, since the water level was obviously too high), but the bottom rubber grommet was not engaging the actuator arm, I believe it's called.

So I pushed the float rod down, and pulled the bottom rubber grommet up a bit - so now there's about an inch or so of 'play' between the top and the bottom rubber grommets (with the actuator arm in between the two). Now, when the float rod floats up, the actuator arm is engaged.

I assume this is one possible cause of the aforementioned problem, yes?

Kung

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, obvious question. I'm a computer geek, and can answer darn near any question about those; but I'm new to the world of water softeners, though I'm trying to be a true, SMART DIY'er, and learn from mistakes.

I'm not sure that's the only problem, however; have a friend of mine who's a plumber coming over in the next few days to take @ look at it, with me at his side so I can learn what may be the problem. I'll keep looking into it in the meantime.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Doing some quick research, I have discovered a few things:

1. The water inside the brine well is just even with the overflow elbow. (Duh.)

2. More importantly, I noticed that the float rod was all the way up (as it should have been, since the water level was obviously too high), but the bottom rubber grommet was not engaging the actuator arm, I believe it's called.

So I pushed the float rod down, and pulled the bottom rubber grommet up a bit - so now there's about an inch or so of 'play' between the top and the bottom rubber grommets (with the actuator arm in between the two). Now, when the float rod floats up, the actuator arm is engaged.

I assume this is one possible cause of the aforementioned problem, yes?
No. That float valve on a 5600 is a safety valve. It is meant to stop water flow into the tank if it comes up too high due to a malfunction. Which is where you are and you need to find the cause and cure it. Your float wasn't able to rise to shut of the water, so you fixed it and that is good but an extra, you still have the original problem.

A plumber is not a good choice unless s/he is proficient in troubleshooting the 5600 control valve for too much water in the salt tank. Otherwise you learn to do it yourself or call a water treatment dealer. It isn't hard to do and anyone with the desire can do it. Start learning in the troubleshooting section in the back of your service manual. If you don't have one get one here;
www.fleckcontrols.com

Kung

Reaction score
No. That float valve on a 5600 is a safety valve. It is meant to stop water flow into the tank if it comes up too high due to a malfunction. Which is where you are and you need to find the cause and cure it. Your float wasn't able to rise to shut of the water, so you fixed it and that is good but an extra, you still have the original problem.

In other words, it can now shut off the water, BUT some other malfunction is responsible for the water getting too high; understood.

A plumber is not a good choice unless s/he is proficient in troubleshooting the 5600 control valve for too much water in the salt tank.

Right - which is why I went with the one guy in this area who installs almost nothing but Fleck and Clack control valve water softener systems.

Otherwise you learn to do it yourself or call a water treatment dealer. It isn't hard to do and anyone with the desire can do it. Start learning in the troubleshooting section in the back of your service manual. If you don't have one get one here;
www.fleckcontrols.com

Got one; and am in the process of learning.

Kung

Reaction score
Well, not sure if it's completely fixed; however, the system regenerated itself 2 days ago, and all appears to be well - no flooding/overflowing, no standing water in the brine tank, etc. I will have to monitor it to see what happens.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks