P-trap Replacement - leak

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
Long-story short... Took apart P-trap to clean out drain in kids' bathroom and accidentally broke "collar" (if that's proper term) that join one part of P-trap (ABS) to the other. It's a 1 1/2" trap.

Bought another ABS, 1 1/2" trap to harvest the "U" part and tie into the other part (which is attached to part that goes into wall). There is a leak at the collar where I've joined them.

Any advice? I would have thought I could marry one part of ABS p-trap to another without much trouble.

Thank you.

dhla

Reaction score
Problem solved, but interesting discovery (at least for me)... one part of one company's 1 1/2" ABS p-trap will not necessarily fit with another company's... Had to cut out the other part of the p-trap and glue all new back to the other ABS pipe... not too hard, but more effort than I expected.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only things standard are the ends...what they do in the middle is up to the individual company that makes them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks