One WH leaking - replace both?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bon

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bradford-White 50-gal water heaters. They are 6-year warranty models and are 6 1/2 years old. One tank just began leaking. My conundrum is: Should I replace both WH's at the same time or just wait for the second one to fail? I'll be doing the labor so I won't save on installation by doing one or both. They're plumbed in series and have a recirculation loop. I'm leaning on replacing both so I can do the entire job once. Comments? Wisdom? Experience? Thanks!!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have a pair of Bradford-White 50-gal water heaters. They are 6-year warranty models and are 6 1/2 years old. One tank just began leaking. My conundrum is: Should I replace both WH's at the same time or just wait for the second one to fail? I'll be doing the labor so I won't save on installation by doing one or both. They're plumbed in series and have a recirculation loop. I'm leaning on replacing both so I can do the entire job once. Comments? Wisdom? Experience? Thanks!!

Well 6.5 years is a pretty short life time and they *should* out last that. I'd think that you got unlucky 1/2 what are the chances you get unlucky 2/2. So I'd probably only replace the 1 tank. Hell the non-leaking tank might out last the new one you put into replace the leaking one!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heaters

The dynamics of a series installation, and that is the only way I install them, is that the initial one will usually fail several times before the second one does because the precipitation of minerals, which is a primary cause of failure, will occur in the first one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks