stop-gap for clogging sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

ronke

Reaction score
I am turning to this estimable forum because I have always found the people here really know what they're talking about and have been of help over and over again. Fifteen years ago we replaced the main sewer waste line from our house to the city line and then about 5 years ago, after repeated clogging, we replaced the part of the line under the house. That work was done by a company we were referred to by our then plumber. Since it was underneath we have no idea whether the work was done well or not. In the past few years we have had repeated clogging and our new (great plumber) snaked it out once and pulled out tons of roots which did not surprise us as we have ficus, privet and evergreen elm on our lot, all planted by previous owners. So when it clogged again this week after the big rains, I was ready to ask him to use RootX (recommended here) after the clean out. To my shock, however, there were really not any roots, just impacted crap. It was his opinion that there was something wrong with the line under the house where the clog was occurring. He was getting ready to go to Mexico for three months (though his brother will handle emergencies in the duration) but that when he got back he would send a camera down and figure out what had to be replaced. This all makes sense to me(and he is a very good, very reliable plumber worth waiting for) but I am desperate to try and avoid problems until his return. Since RootX isn't going to be the panacea I had hoped, is there anything else I can dump down toilets occasionally just to slow down the accumulation of impacted sludge? Thanks.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I hate to give you bad news but, there is nothing chemical that I know of that will clear out the stoppage you have, even if you still want to use one you have to have the line snaked first, don't think that you can wait 3 mo. Sorry

BTW If you are getting roots out of your line there is no doubt you have something that wasn't installed right.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a product called Bio Clean that eats the sludge and crud in pipes and does not damage them. It is supposed to keep the pipes quite clean when used regularly. I think the camera inspection will be a good step.

ronke

Reaction score
Well, yes, he just snaked it out to city line with huge cable and 4" cutter. I'm just wanting to keep line open 'til he gets back.

ronke

Reaction score
Thanks. I will hunt up Bio-Clean.

Oh, hey, Terry sells it. Well, that was easy.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks