Help identify my 3-handle tub fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
I hope folks here can help me to identify the bathtub fixture in my "new" (to me) 1950 home. It looks like a basic Price Pfister job, including the PP Beaux Art escutcheons and handles, but I need to identify it real specific so that I can locate a correct packing nut for the diverter handle.

I guess I should explain the situation, then describe the fixture. So, the diverter handle has no packing nut on it. Needless to say, water gushes out. The really special part is that some genius has packed a huge amount of grout in around the bonnet so that it's impossible to remove. So I need to find the correct packing nut, but I can't take the whole stem in to the hardware store with me. What I can do is remove the hot and cold stems (not grouted in place ... thank you, previous homeowner!), and I've attached a picture of one. Now here's the thing that's making me crazy: the packing nut from the hot and cold does not fit on the diverter ... the diverter appears to have a slightly smaller thread.

I've taken the hot stem to every store in town, told my story, and gotten nothing but shrugs. Everyone says that all 3 packing nuts should be the same size. I'm starting to think that I'm crazy, but everytime I play with it I come away convinced that the diverter thread is indeed smaller.

Okay, so that's my story. Anyone have any idea what I'm looking at here? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMAGE_030.jpg
    IMAGE_030.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Chip the grout out with a small chisel. We do it all the time. Just use light taps with the hammer it will come out. Then replace the hole stem. It is a Price Pfister and the packing nuts are different.

John

mc510

Reaction score
Thanks John ... so the grout in there isn't unheard of? I was afraid that someone packed it in there to try to stop a leak that was hard to reach.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
stem

I have never heard of anyone selling just packing nuts for faucets in the first place. I have never checked, nor had to, but as far as I know all three PP stems use the same nut. I will have to look at them when I go out to my truck later.

mc510

Reaction score
well, i was able to buy just a hot/cold packing nut at a well-stocked local hardware store, but it doesn't fit on the diverter. But anyways, I'd be happy to replace the whole diverter stem, as long as it's safe to chip away the mortar that's packed into the wall cavity all around the bonnet. Johnjh2o1 says it's common, but I'm still a little skittish of chipping it away without knowing what it's doing there in the first place. Is this standard or at least common, and what's the grout doing there?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mortar around the valve doesn't do anything.

There is now way a bit of grout is going to hold 60 PSI of pressure.

Chip it away so you can get to the valve to repair it.

mc510

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will do as you suggest and chip out the mortar so I can remove the whole stem. I'm still curious why it's there, though ... why would a competent plumber mortar-up the diverter bonnet?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will do as you suggest and chip out the mortar so I can remove the whole stem. I'm still curious why it's there, though ... why would a competent plumber mortar-up the diverter bonnet?

That was done by the tiler.

John

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score

My guess is that the plumber didn't do it. It was probably the tile setter that got it in there because the protective sleeves were not on the valve when he grouted. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Some characteristics of tile setters are:
1. If the hole does not have to be "neat", such as around a stem under a trim ring, they will cut it perfectly as close to the valve or pipe as possible.
2. If it does not have to be "watertight", or the part will have to be removed someday, they will pack the hole with grout.
3. If it does have to be neat, and watertight, such as behind the tub spout, they will use a hammer to make the hole and leave it ungrouted.

mc510

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all your advice; big help! I was able to chip out the grout and remove the diverter stem; it wasn't easy to find a replacement but I finally did, and now everything is working again (and not leaking).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks