upstairs toilet damages drywall when overflowing

Users who are viewing this thread

Harvey

Reaction score
I have a upstairs toilet , that overflows from time to time . When it does it will leak to the drywall ceiling below damaging the dry wall . I want to replace the toilet . How can I install it correctly to prevent drywall damage going forward ?
Also would anyone recommend a toilet that has less change of clogging ?
It needs to be low flow to meet ca req .

Thanks

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wait for what the others have to say. Not everyone likes it.

It all depends on...price...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Eco Drake by Toto.

Others do too.
An old customer of mine is picking up five more on Saturday, and a second previous customer is picking up one Eco Drake and a Toto Aquia dual flush.
I have to wait until Saturday is over before I find out how many more will be bought.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Cadet is (supposedly) a copy of the Toto. AS's quality control is poor, especially those they sell to the big box stores. If you get a good one, you're okay. If you don't, you won't be. Toto's QA/QC is best in the industry. So, you pay your money and take your chances. To me, it's not worth the aggravation. To you, it might be. If you shop around, the price difference isn't all that much (IOW, don't go by the 'suggested' retail price - find a dealer, many 'deal').

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
overflow

IF the tank sends more water to the bowl than it can hold, if it is plugged, it WILL overflow and nothing will stop it. That was the logic behind the low one piece toilets. They COULD NOT overflow because the water could never get high enough to overflow the rim. The newer toilets flush so little water that there is not enough to overflow, unless it is flushed several times in a row. Therefore, almost any new toilet will have little reason to overflow, and I personally do not find many that are prone to stoppages, unless it is a user problem.

Harvey

Reaction score
Hi , my supply line is only about 6.5 inches left of center . with a 12 inch rough in
Which toto is best for it ? I liked the Guinevere , but looks like my supply line is to close ?

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks