(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coliform Present in My Well

Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    Don't you mean that you WOULDN'T sell it for that price? It is simply not creditable that you COULDN'T sell it for that price.
    Yeah wouldn't couldn't is the same thing to me Bob but not creditable? Obviously I have info you don't but...

When you take my wholesale price and then his retail price, minus any credit card charge plus a transaction and other fees (like merchant account charges), any phone call 800 charge, your time and then pay income tax and both the employer's and employee's FICA taxes, if there is little to no profit to make at least a few dollars why would I bother just to be able to undercut another dealers' price? How about you become a dealer and see how you do at his price.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2000 View Post
    Hahaha....i sell and install water treatment too! It's about solving peoples problem at the source rather than bandaiding it. You think i would post my comments to protect another well driller hundreds if not thousands of miles away?? Hahahaha.....you have got to be kidding me right?

aquaman
    No, really I didn't think you would, I don't see you as that selfless kinda guy.

I also don't see you helping many DIYers here by constantly telling them to fix the well without any guarantee that that money will fix their problem.

Many of them probably can't get a truck to their well to do the job anyway. And then you'd want them to see if they couldn't drill a new well. With no guarantee of better quality water there either.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I wish you well with your solution feeder.
    The solution feeder, in addition to being less expensive to buy and to operate than a pellet feeder, has been totally trouble free--no maintence of any sort.

This is a BIG difference as compared to the experience of one of your customers with a pellet feeder as posted on your web site. I quote:

"Today (Friday) was the 6 week mark when I should check the chlorinator pellet level.

I had rubber gloves and goggles. I shut off the valves surrounding the hopper, drained the boiler valve into the magic bucket, loosened the lid, unscrewed the hopper connections on either side, and placed the hopper into the bucket. I removed the lid and saw milky water and lots of mush - NO pellets, just chunks and mush. LOTS of mush. I could not see through the milky water. So I poured out the water, put the mush into a pan, and inspected the pipe. I didn't remove the center pipe, but if you think I should remove and clean it now, I will. I already have the muriatic acid for the job.

Anyway, I wiped off the center tube of the hopper, poked a toothpick into the #1 hole to clear it out, and just replaced it all without cleaning it.

My one HUGE problem was this: NO WATER TO RINSE ANYTHING! I had to drag it out to the creek and do my best there."

"PS - you weren't kidding about the strength of that chlorine. Just in doing what I did Friday, I bleach-spotted 2 shirts, a pair of jeans, a pair of shoes, and my carpet!!"

And then that same customer had to order another $150 of pellets after using the system for only a few months. Again I quote from your web site:

"CHLORINATOR:
    **I need to order more pellets; I just emptied my last 2 bags**

I checked the level of chlorine mush again 4 weeks ago, and it had hardly moved. So I reinstalled (drained the water as well) the hopper and waited another 4 weeks. Last Saturday I took the hopper down to find it was COMPLETELY EMPTY of pellets! There was just a bare minimum amount of mush in the bottom of the hopper, maybe a quarter inch.

I did the muriatic acid cleaning, replaced the pipe and cap, set to minimum dose (1), and refilled with pellets to the base of the cap, and reinstalled. Again, both sides of the piping to the left and right of the hopper were stained with red chlorine residue (flaky iron-stained material). Now this Saturday is my scheduled time to flush the mixing tank."

The solution feeder, in addition to being less expensive to buy and to operate than a pellet feeder, has been totally trouble free--no maintence of any sort.

This is a BIG difference as compared to the experience of one of your customers with a pellet feeder as posted on your web site. I quote:

"Today (Friday) was the 6 week mark when I should check the chlorinator pellet level.

As you know that was Mechitty, a self proclaimed paranoid young lady with a very handsome but poor handyman type guy and you also should have seen we were being humorous in our posts.

Also, she didn't order pellets for months after that and we decided she didn't have the center tube in properly, recall she said she didn't remove it when she first checked the level at the beginning.

So you love your feeder, my chlorinator customers love them too.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2000 View Post
    " When it comes to a coliform bacteria problem in a well, or any other issue that is a health risk, get to the source of it because god knows what else could also show up someday ".

When a dog craps on the floor, you don't spray it down with deoderizer, you pick it up and throw it out...

aquaman
    You say that although you should know the bacteria is coming in with the recovery water of the well and really, there is no way to find and fix the source of the contamination, or that there can be multiple sources at any distance from that well.

Early on in this thread Gary Slusser put forward the following statement:

"There are a number of different ways to treat your water but IMO the best is an inline erosion pellet chlorinator, 12" x 65" bottom drain mixing tank (equivalent to a 120 gal retention tank) and a backwashed carbon filter with a special carbon in it. I've been selling that system for many years and it has the least maintenance of any system, costs the least and has no moving parts. It also takes up the least space of any chlorination system."

Subsequently it has been demonstrated that inline erosion pellet chlorinators are more expensive to buy and far more expensive to operate than solution feeders for chlorination. Additionally, data has been posted to show that inline erosion pellet chlorinators have substantial maintenance--more than solution feeders in at least some instances.

Early on in this thread Gary Slusser put forward the following statement:

"There are a number of different ways to treat your water but IMO the best is an inline erosion pellet chlorinator, 12" x 65" bottom drain mixing tank (equivalent to a 120 gal retention tank) and a backwashed carbon filter with a special carbon in it. I've been selling that system for many years and it has the least maintenance of any system, costs the least and has no moving parts. It also takes up the least space of any chlorination system."

Subsequently it has been demonstrated that inline erosion pellet chlorinators are more expensive to buy and far more expensive to operate than solution feeders for chlorination. Additionally, data has been posted to show that inline erosion pellet chlorinators have substantial maintenance--more than solution feeders in at least some instances.
    My system's purchase price only costs more when there is no retention tank used with a solution feeder; which is very rare in most cases but nonexistent with iron present.

The maintenance of a solution feeder with a 15 gal solution tank is much more frequent than the one time on average every 2-4 months (based on water use and how much of whatever is being treated) that my pellet chlorinator requires. And that maintenance usually does not take more than 30 minutes if that.

Some of the people I sell the system to replace a solution feeder system that they are tired of baby sitting and repairing or the constant cleaning of the injector they've had to do to keep it working.

Bob, using Mechitty's post to attack my equipment is not a true representation, and frankly I thought you were better than that.

BTW, I thought you told me that you were a homeowner, do you sell water treatment equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    In this thread, no. However, many times you have told posters NOT to call the health department. It would just cost them. (To fix things right?)
    What I have said is that getting the government involved might get the well condemned. Then the property is worthless. A better way to go is through water treatment dealers instead of well drillers such as yourself; or your buddy Sam Tyler.

Previous member

Folks you can't buy this kind of entertainment

Hey Cass, bout time to close the door on this one eh?

My system's purchase price only costs more when there is no retention tank used with a solution feeder; which is very rare in most cases but nonexistent with iron present.
    The solution feeder system is less expensive to purchase. Your quoted price was $773 as I recall and the cost of a solution feeder system is $705--$205 for the pump including accessories, $15 for chlorine from the local supermarket, $450 for the retention tank you include, and $35 for the solution tank.

Bob, using Mechitty's post to attack my equipment is not a true representation, and frankly I thought you were better than that.
    Gary, I have neither attacked you or the equipment you sell. What I have done is attempted to put forward facts--facts that do conflict with some of the assertions you have put forward--particularly the assertion that inline erosion pellet feeders are less expensive than solution feeders for chlorine and the assertion that inline erosion pellet feeders have the least maintenance.

In my opinion having to don googles and gloves to open and clean an inline pellet erosion system with acid at six weeks is heavy maintenance--particularly compared to the maintenance required with a solution feeder.

All systems require maintenance but my opinion is that working with a liquid chlorine that is a 6% solution before dilution, as is done with the solution feeder, is much safer and easier than working with the extremely strong chlorine solution created in a pellet system--particularly considering the safety issues of using acid as recommended for periodic cleaning of erosion systems. In an industrial setting working with those chemicals together would only be allowed with a respirator and a chemical protection suit because mixing acid with a chlorine solution will cause the release of chlorine gas.

Previous member

Where did all the posts go?

So if I'm following you, you're saying that any customer of mine that has posted in a forum and I replied to him/her before they bought from me, is a sucker. Actually IIRC, George and I talked or he posted somewhere a while ago but I doubt he will appreciate the comment.

I just got off the phone (yes on a Sunday, I thought is was a customer) with a Canadian about Kinetico and the price and the BS he was fed yesterday. Something about 2+/- lbs of salt and 11 gals of water per regeneration but "no quantitative figures so he could compare to other softeners".

That would be the total salt used in a given time, like a week, or, how frequently it would regenerate. It was the toy type Kinetico with the top of the control valve about half the height of the salt tank. He's supposed to call me during business hours tomorrow. He had been reading my posts too.
    I just want you all to know I have been speaking to and getting advise from gary for a few years now, I have never been given the hard sell or pushed to buy anything at all.

If I choose to buy they I am a grown man and not influenced by some guy either on the Internet or my local plumbing supply house.

I bet all of can say we have been feed a bill of goods in person as well as a bill online. The old motto Buyer beware holds true he and anywhere you spend your money.

Gary has been nothing but nice and helpful from what I have seen and experienced. I personally hate when people bad mouth like this. The Crap always comes out in the wash. So if your logic holds here I should listen to you someone I have never spoken to and say gary is a guys just out to sell his wares and not truly help people but you are not like that, you are a true and honest person and gary is not based on WHAT?

I have had my personal experience and seen his help on the forums over the years. Till he does something to me he is a good guy in my book.

Previous member

I don't think anyone cares if someone is selling stuff here. It's been made pretty clear that selling on this forum is ok. ( though perhaps changing the writing of the rules might be helpful) The big problem with filtration is that everyone in the business has their own opinions as to what works well and what does not. Most times the opinion is based on experiance with different products and or methods. It seem that quite often a topic will come up here with different professionals having different methods or opinions and sooner or later it turns into an argument. If members would just stick to voicing their opinion and then leave it at that, we could probably avoid a lot of the BS that happens on this forum. Unfortunatly there seems to be a lot of ego involved in the discussions and it leaves the OP scratching their heads and wondering if perhaps they should go somewhere else. The other sad thing is that we have lost about a dozen members here in the past few months that all contributed to the discussion in meaningfull ways. Now there are only a handful of us left. Personaly if I think I am right, I will listen to any argument and consider it. If I still disagree than I'm just gonna move on. Why get into a Pi&&ing match?

Now everybody just chill out and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Last edited by Peter Griffin; 12-22-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Gary, I have neither attacked you or the equipment you sell. What I have done is attempted to put forward facts--facts that do conflict with some of the assertions you have put forward--particularly the assertion that inline erosion pellet feeders are less expensive than solution feeders for chlorine and the assertion that inline erosion pellet feeders have the least maintenance.
    Yes Bob, I have already agreed with you that you are correct that your dinky 15 gal tank (most of my chlorination customers would be refilling it about every two weeks or less) and the lowest cost proportional pump is less expensive than my system.

I have also told you based on my 23 yrs experience in treating water with chlorine that without a correctly sized retention tank, your way fails.

George here with his need for chlorine would not get the job done with your system for very long because there is no 20 minute contact time with your system.

I have also asked you if you sold water treatment equipment. You fail to answer and keep repeating and error that I have not made. I see that as a personal attack on me and /or my system. This is making you look bad Bob.

Answer the cost of the retention tank and if you sell equipment or are you just going on your one time experience wit ha solution feeder?

You showed the price of the tank I use (my price is less than the web site you used) and if you add in it's cost, IIRC your system then is the same price as mine or higher.

In my opinion having to don googles and gloves to open and clean an inline pellet erosion system with acid at six weeks is heavy maintenance--particularly compared to the maintenance required with a solution feeder.
    Bob, recall that the lady is paranoid; you've read all her posts on my forum. I've never heard of another customer doing that and I nor my wife have ever done that. Glasses is a good idea though.

As to the 6 weeks, most customers do it the first time in 8 weeks but, it is done to gauge how much pellets have been used so the customer can establish the schedule they need to fit their pellet usage; so it isn't necessarily maintenance. Some customers go 3-4 months between 'maintenance' but, not all of them have to use acid.

All systems require maintenance but my opinion is that working with a liquid chlorine that is a 6% solution before dilution, as is done with the solution feeder, is much safer and easier than working with the extremely strong chlorine solution created in a pellet system--particularly considering the safety issues of using acid as recommended for periodic cleaning of erosion systems. In an industrial setting working with those chemicals together would only be allowed with a respirator and a chemical protection suit because mixing acid with a chlorine solution will cause the release of chlorine gas.
    The acid is a very weak solution, vinegar can also be used but it will take longer to clean the clean tube they replace the tube they take out and the cleaning of the tube is done after getting their unit back in service. Also, I mention the acid product by name and not all customers have to use acid of any kind. Also, it isn't chlorine they are removing/cleaning as much as hard water scale and, the formation is dependent on the customer's water quality and many don't have the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity you have provided me to fully explain my system and its maintenance procedure etc..