(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Coliform Present in My Well

  1. #16
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    Gary,

    I have provided the data to show that a chlorine injection system can be purchased for less than the erosion pellet feeder. This supports my original statement that "An injection system for chlorine is lower cost--both to buy and particularly to operate--than a pellet erosion system. "

    The solution tank is available here:

    http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/C...p/c1424pst.htm
    Bob, the $205 pump is the cheapest in my catalog and is proportional dose.

    My cost for the tank is just under $19 and I know you don't ship it across the US for just $10 but let's say you can, then they aren't making anything or, they bought a large volume of them but I wish them well.

    So you have a 15 gal tank and the cheapest type pump, but no retention, are you planning on using the pressure tank as retention? If so, it won't work for the OP's Coliform bacteria problem because you need more retention time than a pressure tank's volume of water will provide.

    Suggested Retail of that pump.
    Stenner Pump Control Module
    The PCM is a component of a feed system that delivers repeatable doses based on water volume.
    The proportional feed system includes the PCM, fixed output pump and simple inline dry contact
    water meter. The PCM system is suitable for a variety of applications such as pH control, disinfection
    and oxidation of iron, hydrogen sulfide and manganese.
    PCM5 0.5 - 5 Seconds, 115 Volt $ 285.00

    Suggested Retail prices for Stenner 3-17 gpd pumps.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Gary/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]ADD "-B" suffix to the part number for pumps with UV Black suction discharge tubing instead of clear.
    45MHP2-110 (-B) 3 gpd, 26 rpm, 110v, #1 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP2-220 (-B) 3 gpd, 26 rpm, 220v, #1 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP10-110 (-B) 10 gpd, 26 rpm, 110v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP10-220 (-B) 10 gpd, 26 rpm, 220v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    85MHP17-110 (-B) 17 gpd, 44 rpm, 110v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    85MHP17-220 (-B) 17 gpd, 44 rpm, 220v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00

    Now none of them include the pickup or injector etc. etc., it's just the pump so you have to add teh rest of teh parts to your $205 pricing.

    And if you do it right with even an 80 gal retention tank, it totals more than $773; as I proved the last time we did this a few months ago.

    Their price for the 85mph17 gpd pump is $379.00 shipping included.
    http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/S...Parts_s/63.htm
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  2. #17
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Bob, the $205 pump is the cheapest in my catalog and is proportional dose.

    My cost for the tank is just under $19 and I know you don't ship it across the US for just $10 but let's say you can, then they aren't making anything or, they bought a large volume of them but I wish them well.

    So you have a 15 gal tank and the cheapest type pump, but no retention, are you planning on using the pressure tank as retention? If so, it won't work for the OP's Coliform bacteria problem because you need more retention time than a pressure tank's volume of water will provide.

    Suggested Retail of that pump.
    Stenner Pump Control Module
    The PCM is a component of a feed system that delivers repeatable doses based on water volume.
    The proportional feed system includes the PCM, fixed output pump and simple inline dry contact
    water meter. The PCM system is suitable for a variety of applications such as pH control, disinfection
    and oxidation of iron, hydrogen sulfide and manganese.
    PCM5 0.5 - 5 Seconds, 115 Volt $ 285.00

    Suggested Retail prices for Stenner 3-17 gpd pumps.

    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Gary/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]ADD "-B" suffix to the part number for pumps with UV Black suction discharge tubing instead of clear.
    45MHP2-110 (-B) 3 gpd, 26 rpm, 110v, #1 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP2-220 (-B) 3 gpd, 26 rpm, 220v, #1 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP10-110 (-B) 10 gpd, 26 rpm, 110v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    45MHP10-220 (-B) 10 gpd, 26 rpm, 220v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    85MHP17-110 (-B) 17 gpd, 44 rpm, 110v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00
    85MHP17-220 (-B) 17 gpd, 44 rpm, 220v, #2 Pump Tube $619.00

    Now none of them include the pickup or injector etc. etc., it's just the pump so you have to add teh rest of teh parts to your $205 pricing.

    And if you do it right with even an 80 gal retention tank, it totals more than $773; as I proved the last time we did this a few months ago.

    Their price for the 85mph17 gpd pump is $379.00 shipping included.
    http://www.qualitywaterforless.com/S...Parts_s/63.htm
    Gary,

    If you were to do a little research you could find out some of these facts for yourself. But, since you seem unwilling or unable to do it for yourself, I will do it for you.

    The Stenner pump I quoted includes the pickup and the injector and necessary tubing and a replacement pump tube. I previously provided you with the link to the solution tank. As I previously posted the cost of the pump including delivery (with accessories) is $205. The solution tank is $35 delivered.
    As to your assertion that it is the "cheapest type pump" I will observe that Stenner is a quality brand and, in my view, is not appropriatly referred to as the "cheapest type pump."

    As to a retention tank--it doesn't seem to me that it is relevant-because it is required whatever cholorine source is used. But, since you keep bringing it up I will provide the information. An 80 gallon retention tank, or the tank that you include in the system you quoted in an earlier post, is availble for approximately $450 delivered. So the delivered price for the solution pump (with accessaries), solution tank, and retention tank, plus a large supply of chlorine from the local supermarket is approximately (205 + 35 + 15 + 450) $705. This is LESS than the price you quoted ($773) for the erosion pellet feeder, chlorine pellets, and retention tank.

    So, I believe I have fully supported my statement that "An injection system for chlorine is lower cost--both to buy and particularly to operate--than a pellet erosion system. ".
    Last edited by Bob999; 12-19-2009 at 03:32 PM.

  3. #18
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Bob, what's the link to the $205 pump?

    As to soda ash and chlorine injected together, I didn't know people were still doing that, it doesn't work well and many dealers have stopped doing it in one feeder but... Chlorine is a better disinfectant when the pH is lower than when it's higher. When the pH is higher chlorine is a better oxidizer. BTW, chlorine raises the pH some.

    Shocking a well does not get to the source of a Coliform bacteria problem.
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 12-19-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  4. #19
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    Bob, what's the link to the $205 pump?
    The Stenner pump available for $205 delivered is found at this link:
    http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?m...h=1_6_29_46_50

  5. #20
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    The Stenner pump available for $205 delivered is found at this link:
    http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?m...h=1_6_29_46_50
    I don't see anything included with the pump there but, anyone wanting a pump ought to buy a truckload at those prices. I think the guy has an error with his pricing. I didn't see where shipping was included either.

    Anyway, George ordered his equipment from me yesterday during all this 'discussion'.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  6. #21
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2000 View Post
    Mixing soda ash with chlorine to raise ph works very well and its done all the time with great success.

    Removing anything that is sitting at the bottom of a well that is causing a bacteria problem by flushing with a tremi pipe, and mixing the right amount of chlorine mixture for the depth and diameter of a well, will get rid of the source. By repairing any openings in the casing and by replacing non sanitary well caps, will also prevent bacteria from getting in the well by not allowing dirt and critters from entering. Raisng the top of well casing so surface water does not enter the well also gets rid of the source.

    aquaman
    In theory you're right but not in my rather extensive bacteria remediation experience.

    In your short time doing water treatment, how many Coliform bacteria contaminated wells have you treated?
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  7. #22
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    And there you have it folks. It is not about "helping" you at all. It is about SELLING to you.

    P. T. Barnum was right. "There is a sucker born every minute".
    So if I'm following you, you're saying that any customer of mine that has posted in a forum and I replied to him/her before they bought from me, is a sucker. Actually IIRC, George and I talked or he posted somewhere a while ago but I doubt he will appreciate the comment.

    I just got off the phone (yes on a Sunday, I thought is was a customer) with a Canadian about Kinetico and the price and the BS he was fed yesterday. Something about 2+/- lbs of salt and 11 gals of water per regeneration but "no quantitative figures so he could compare to other softeners".

    That would be the total salt used in a given time, like a week, or, how frequently it would regenerate. It was the toy type Kinetico with the top of the control valve about half the height of the salt tank. He's supposed to call me during business hours tomorrow. He had been reading my posts too.
    .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 12-21-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  8. #23
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I don't see anything included with the pump there but, anyone wanting a pump ought to buy a truckload at those prices. I think the guy has an error with his pricing. I didn't see where shipping was included either.
    Gary,

    Please note that the price for the pump at the link I provided was $195 plus shipping. I listed the cost delivered as $205 in my earlier post because that included the shipping cost to Eastern PA where I live. I actually purchased a pump from that site a few months ago--at the current listed price and the pump included the accessories. The accessories are included in the "standard" Stenner pump package which includes a pump, pick up, injector, tubing, and spare pump tube. Apparently you have never dealt with or used the Stenner pump or you would know this. Additionally, if you had looked at the Spec Sheet for which there is a link at the site you would have found the information that the accessories are included.

    While the web site link I provided is a good price there are other web sites that provide similar prices so I don't think it is a mistake or a quirk. What evidence do you have to support your opinion that "the guy has an error in his pricing"?

  9. #24
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Mason dixon Line
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    Didn't I elude to perhaps finding out why there is a bacteria problem way back when ?........

    As far as selling product goes, who cares? It's allowed here, everyone that has a link or a product is welcome to solicit posters so hey, all is fair in war and filter sales Maybe you guys will all try to undercut each other to the point where I will buy from you instead of my wholesaler.

  10. #25
    Porky Cutter,MGWC Porky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    727

    Default

    It would be very unusual for a well 230 feet deep to be contaminated if properly cased and sealed at the surface, but not inpossible. I would mix 1.5 to 2 gallons of bleach with at least ten gallons or more of water and pour it in the well. This causes the bleach to enter back into the formation some distance. Then if possible after opening each faucet until you smell the bleach let it set for 24 hours then pump it off until you no longer smell the bleach. Then have it tested and tested again in six months and again in a year. The deluted bleach won't damage your CSV or any other appliances.

  11. #26
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Just going by your word. The debate was not important, you had made the sell. So, the sell was what was important to you. I am sure that is true.
    You're making that up, you didn't see me say or imply anything close to that.

    Actually the OP called me on his own because he had shocked the well previously and had read this and other threads already.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  12. #27
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2000 View Post
    Gary,
    i'm not here to fight with anyone, just here to state the truth and how problems can be rectified. As a professional i don't lead towards one way or the other based on the ring of a cash register, i lean towards the way of putting an end to someones problem with their well the most easiest and economical way for them. If you want to sell someone something that is going to band aid the problem, that's fine, but i would be more interested in finding the source of the problem and putting an end to it all together.
    So your cash register doesn't ring when you work on the well to prevent a Coliform bacteria problem... I don't believe you do it for nothing. So your register does ring.

    Then I see you leaning only to fixing the well instead of selling treatment equipment. And that's okay but most people will not take the risk of your way not fixing the problem and then having to buy the equipment after paying a driller their money and getting nothing for it.

    You don't give them a written guarantee that what you do will solve their Coliform bacteria problem now do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman2000 View Post
    In my close to 20 years in the water well field, i have resloved thousands of bacteria problems with the correct methods by doing casing repairs, replacing well caps, raising well casings, flushing wells out, and then disinfecting properly. This guy probably could have had his bacteria issue resolved for good for under 500 dollars.I wonder where it is coming from?????????? I guess he will never know...

    aquaman
    To you the "correct methods" do not include water treatment, and yet all States approve the use of the water treatment equipment that I sell to solve the problem.

    You're very one sided IMO. I understand it because you're a well driller and want that sale instead of selling water treatment equipment. And since you lean that way, you are against me selling to anyone. I guess you do that to protect well drillers or you're afraid someone in your area will buy from me. Personally I think there's enough pie for both ways to be used to fix the problem.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  13. #28
    That's all folks! Gary Slusser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wherever I park the motorhome.
    Posts
    6,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob999 View Post
    Gary,

    Please note that the price for the pump at the link I provided was $195 plus shipping. I listed the cost delivered as $205 in my earlier post because that included the shipping cost to Eastern PA where I live. I actually purchased a pump from that site a few months ago--at the current listed price and the pump included the accessories. The accessories are included in the "standard" Stenner pump package which includes a pump, pick up, injector, tubing, and spare pump tube. Apparently you have never dealt with or used the Stenner pump or you would know this. Additionally, if you had looked at the Spec Sheet for which there is a link at the site you would have found the information that the accessories are included.

    While the web site link I provided is a good price there are other web sites that provide similar prices so I don't think it is a mistake or a quirk. What evidence do you have to support your opinion that "the guy has an error in his pricing"?
    I looked up my wholesale price adn I get a very good discount price but I couldn't sell it for that. I also looked at all the other brands of solution feeder pumps. I think he is probably buying a number of cases maybe once or twice a year.

    I wish you well with your solution feeder.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

  14. #29
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I looked up my wholesale price adn I get a very good discount price but I couldn't sell it for that. I also looked at all the other brands of solution feeder pumps. I think he is probably buying a number of cases maybe once or twice a year.
    Don't you mean that you WOULDN'T sell it for that price? I find it unbelievable that you COULDN't sell it for the price.

  15. #30
    DIY Senior Member Bob999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    I looked up my wholesale price adn I get a very good discount price but I couldn't sell it for that. I also looked at all the other brands of solution feeder pumps. I think he is probably buying a number of cases maybe once or twice a year.
    Don't you mean that you WOULDN'T sell it for that price? It is simply not creditable that you COULDN'T sell it for that price.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •