(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Coliform Present in My Well

Hybrid View

Default Coliform Present in My Well

I have a few questions, This is the second time my well has tested positive for bacteria. It was fine for as few years always negative till I pulled the pump last year to replace it and did not shock it,

I shocked it last year after it tested positive and then waited and it tested neg for bacteria. So I waited like 6-8 months and tested positive.

I am not 100% sure I did it correctly last time so I am posting here for correct amount of shock to use.

The well is 230 feet deep 6" drilled. 30GPM recovery, Goulds 1 1/2 HP Gould s 18GS.

PVC lined.

County says to use 9oz per 100 Feet for 6" well. so based on this I need 21-23 oz something like that. Could it hurt if I just used 2lbs of pool shock Calcium hydrochloride?

then they say pump the water from the well head back into the well through the vent till I smell chlorine I have CSV in my crawl before my Tank will that hurt anything? then they say to move to the next hose bib and then faucet by faucet till I smell chlorine at each one.

then let it sit 24 hours.

Assume all this is right how long should I wait to test the water again?

should I have some kind of filter system installed so I do not have to worry? From what I read maybe no way to know where its2 coming from they said maybe put a camera down the hole.

Is there a treatment system I can put in to mediate bacteria?

TIA

George

Previous member

I would not use anything but chlorine.

I was not suggesting another chemical I was wondering if I have a well whose water keeps getting bacteria if there was a filter or some kind of treatent I could use

Thanks
    George

Previous member

You can use a chlorine injection system, but I would first look into why the well continually tests positive for coliform. IE, badly grouted and or sealed. Even so, if you run through all that and come up empty there are wells that pick up bacteria from the aquafir in which case you will need to treat it.

You should not use anything but FDA approved chlorine pellets but many people use nonscented regular household bleach. DO NOT use swimming pool chlorine.

I've shocked a lot of wells and can tell you that I'd sue more than the 9 oz/100'. You say you have a 4" liner, so you don't have 6" of water or 1.47 gals/ft.

If you want to know if you have a recurring contamination, retest 7-9 days after the smell of chlorine is gone.

There are a number of different ways to treat your water but IMO the best is an inline erosion pellet chlorinator, 12" x 65" bottom drain mixing tank (equivalent to a 120 gal retention tank) and a backwashed carbon filter with a special carbon in it. I've been selling that system for many years and it has the least maintenance of any system, costs the least and has no moving parts. It also takes up the least space of any chlorination system.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

where do I get those and what dose do u suggest for my case?