am i understanding this right

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
according to the ipc if a water closet is within 12 feet of the vent stack it does not need a seperate vent?

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
cmon man i was being serious ive got one 9 foot from the stack the lav and tub are vented together but its a pita to vent the w.c. the way it is so im hoping im reading the 12 foot correctly so i dont need to run a seperate vent for it as i dont have the room to roll 45 degrees or better so it would be flat vented and thats no good

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
IPC lists toilet to vent distance as unlimited. What more do you need? Unlimited means unlimited.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
not trying to argue with you ive only been doing plumbing ill say for 6 years but not really at least half that time its been more pipefitting i.e. steam lines from 2" up to 12" on military bases chillers and boilers in hospitals and schools working at international paper and building power plants my card says plumber but its been mostly pipefitting .I have done half of it doing plumbing but mostly in commercial situations like gang bathrooms which were always circuit vented,we did do a 9 story hotel within the past year and the showers and w.c.'s were tied in together with about 8 foot and 6 foot respectively with no other venting than the tie in to sovent 3" stacks.So to make a long story short im more used to commercial/industrial but as ive been laid off for awhile now survival dictates i take on any work i can get so im trying to transition to residential all on my own.the inspector told me to vent the w.c.,he also told me i should have a 1" supply coming in even though the meter is 3/4" i guess if pressure loss is my goal that'd make sense but im here trying to learn so please teach away.I appreciate it.But your saying i can have a 25' run of horizontal waste from a w.c. with no vent but the stack 25' away?please explain?thanks for your help:)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the US, but as far as I know the WC vent needs a vent within 5'. Whether it be dry vented, wet vented or stack vented.

If you base it on what I suggested, the inspector will be happy

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
First of to clarify, you said you were under the IPC, not all codes read the same but if you are IPC the vent distance is unlimited which means prtety much that if there is a vent on the system you are good to go. The reason is because toilets are self siphoning, self venting fixtures and don't need a vent to operate correctly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ipc

You have to realize that the IPC is a "builder oriented" code, which means almost anything goes as long as it reduces the cost of the installation. The toilet does not need a vent to operate normally, it does need a vent when abnormal conditions occur. The IPC does not recognize "abnormal" so it allows a "no vent" installation.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh come on HJ, the IPC is a wonderful code. It allows any hack to hack anything :D

Wait till you get a hold of the 09 edition. It's right full of "builder friendly" changes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks