"Simple" kitchen drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

eddie813

Reaction score
Hello, I've got a big problem and am a new homeowner (older house). I had to replace all my drain pipes underneath the kitchen sink. It has chrome
1 1/2" O.D. drain pipes (double bowl sink with disposal). The problem is, there is 1 1/2" O.D. copper (well it looks like copper) coming out of the wall. How do I connect the two 1 1/2" OD pipes without soldering or anything? I can't find a connector that is 1 1/2" I.D. The previous owner had all copper drain pipes that were soldered. Can someone suggest a connector or other method to do this? Thanks for any input.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Not so simple, huh? :eek:
The pipe stubbing out of the wall should have a trap connected to it.
The two pipes from the double sinks/disposer will join together with a (bafflle)tee fitting and connect to the inlet to the trap. The inlet to the trap should be either 1-1/2" or 2", a connection would be made with the proper size nut and slip washer.

eddie813

Reaction score
e-plumber said:
Not so simple, huh? :eek:
The pipe stubbing out of the wall should have a trap connected to it.
The two pipes from the double sinks/disposer will join together with a (bafflle)tee fitting and connect to the inlet to the trap. The inlet to the trap should be either 1-1/2" or 2", a connection would be made with the proper size nut and slip washer.

Yes, I have the t connecting to the trap, no problem there. The pipe stubbing out of the wall is 1 1/2" and doesn't connect directly to the trap, the first pipe after the pipe out of the wall is the 1 1/2" p-trap, which then connects to the trap. Since both the pipe stubbing out of the wall and the p-trap are 1 1/2" outside diameter, how do I connect them? Can you more specifically describe a connector fitting or other method to do this? Thanks for any help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks