Help drilling joist

Users who are viewing this thread

george4

Reaction score
I need to put water lines, drain, etc in 2nd story. The problem I have is that the wall I need to go through is the wall between the house and the room over the garage [FROG.] This 2nd story sill is comprised of (2) 2x10's.

I don't need to meet any code as I am the homeowner. However - I don't want to compromise the integrity of our home either.

What if I took and installed a 15" piece of 2x10 between the 2 floor joists [near the place I am drilling?] This would make it so that the section I am drilling the holes would never want to spread in the event that the wood would not hold.

Is there any sideways pressure exerted on this sill? -- or, is it primarily downward pressure?

Any help is greaaaatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

George

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I need to put water lines, drain, etc in 2nd story. The problem I have is that the wall I need to go through is the wall between the house and the room over the garage [FROG.] This 2nd story sill is comprised of (2) 2x10's.

I'm sorry, but I don't actually understand what you're describing, here. More info, more complete description... something.

I don't need to meet any code as I am the homeowner.

I don't think I've ever read something as scary as this, before.

However - I don't want to compromise the integrity of our home either.

The easiest way to do that, is follow the code. The code is the collected wisdom, "what works".

What if I took and installed a 15" piece of 2x10 between the 2 floor joists [near the place I am drilling?] This would make it so that the section I am drilling the holes would never want to spread in the event that the wood would not hold.

Is there any sideways pressure exerted on this sill? -- or, is it primarily downward pressure?

I need more info, not sure what exactly you're drilling through, or how big your hole is going to be..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

quote; I don't need to meet any code as I am the homeowner.

Really? And what is there about being the homeowner that will allow you to do things someone else could not. Does that mean you can remove a support wall, because you are the homeowner, even though the code says you CANNOT, and the house will not fall down? CODE is CODE, regardless of WHO is doing the work. Now, if you are doing this without the required permit and inspections, that is something else, and it can come back and bite you sometime in the future. Give us a better description of what you are trying to do, preferably with a picture, and we will see if we can give an answer that will keep you from causing serious damage. From the description of the job, however, I get the impression you really believe it when Home Depot says, "Just do it. Anyone can do plumbing, (and anything else they sell the material for)".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks