Shower handle and trim for 22 year old pull-out handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveindanville

Reaction score
I am replacing all my faucets and handles in our master bath from polished brass to brushed nickel, and I replaced with Moen Brantford. The shower must have been a Delta because the plumbing in the wall doesn't look like it will accept the new Moen handle and trim. I decided to just try and get replacement trim for the handle (with the same type clear, faceted knob). I got the Danco 89277, but the picture on the package shows it as a "turn for on/off and volume and temperature". My old one is a pull out for volume, turn for temp. Now I'm not sure what I have, and what I should do. The original parts were thrown out by the guy who did the shower stall demo. Who made pull-outs in the mid/late 80's that probably went into tens of thousands of houses?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Picture please. From your description it is probably Moen, or PricePfister. Moen has round brass stem with flats on either side, PP is round plastic with a "tab" sticking up. Delta does not operate the way you describe it.

Steveindanville

Reaction score
I now see from the matching handle and trim plate in the 2nd bathroom that it says "Standodyne" on the escutcheon plate. I've read the comment about it being an old name that Moen used to market; I wonder if they can still be found, and more importantly, in Brushed Nickel?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

Stanodyne was just a rebranded Moen. The parts are interchangeable, but the newer plates have the screw holes in a different location than the old ones. And you cannot use the "Positemp" trim even if the holes look like they are in the same location as yours are.

Steveindanville

Reaction score
Will the Danco 89723 brushed nickel replacement for the old push-pull Moen/Stanodynes replace correctly? I cannot find anywhere that says if the handle is a push-pull, a tilt-upwards for on, or the 270 degree 6:00 to 9:00 counterclockwise on-off. Even if it works, will the screw holes match up?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
moen

that age Moen only worked with the push/pull action. Your screws may both be at the bottom, in which case the "diagonal" screw pattern will not work.

Steveindanville

Reaction score
I found the Danco part at my local Lowe's (sorry, I mixed up the numbers: it's Part # 89273)! It fits perfectly, although it comes with a thick rubber gasket that is about 7/8's of an inch in diameter that is not referred to at all on the instructions for installation. It is smaller in diameter than the brushed nickel sleeve, and it doesn't seem to fit onto either the valve, or seat into the handle. After installing without the gasket, the sleeve is loose and moves around, whereas the old original one was seated quite nicely with no movement at all. The handle is screwed into the valve as much as it can go, and the escutcheon is screwed in pretty darn tight too... Any ideas on how to firm up this sleeve?

Steveindanville

Reaction score
It's just slightly loose; it just wiggles a very little bit. Danco customer service told me to just get a pair of pliers and crimp down on the top of the tube so that it gets a slightly small, ovalized OD. I did that and it's almost tight; close enough for me, so I'm happy now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks