(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: tub rough in

Default tub rough in

Dont people still include connecting the tub/shower with the rough in plumbing ? The inspector was here one day and I told him I was about finished with plumbing rough in except connection the tubs and few more things, He said i couldnt set the tubs because he had to inspect the insulation behind the tub/showers on the exterior wall before I could put them in place. I couldnt think how to answer that for a minute and he moved on to something else.. I dont know how he is going to do that with out making a special trip to see if the insulation is there . I still have to rough the hvac and electrical before I can insulate. What am I suppose to do , insulate behind the tub/shower and call him to come look so I can set the tub and finish the plumbing rough in ?
    Last edited by jetlag; 12-16-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Default no replies

Thats strange Ive had 31 views but no replies, I need reply from plumbers who have rough in inspections as to how the insulation behind tub gets inspected ,if at all. Needless to say we have a new young inspector

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

You should be asking him. He has the last word. If you are using one a piece fiberglass tub then it must be insulated before you install the tub.

John
    Last edited by johnjh2o1; 12-17-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    You should be asking him. He has the last word. If you are using one a piece fiberglass tub then it must be insulated before install the tub.

John
    I know it has to be insulated and I know inspector has final word , but is it to much to ask how other plumbers deal with this when they are ready to set the tub . Do they call inspector just to inspect the insulation behind tub ?

i dont worry about it since insulation for anything other than water lines is not in my job description. i set the tub and let whoever worry about the insulation.

on the other hand why couldnt you install the insulation then the tub? unless it is a one piece tub/shower type with the walls the inspector should be able to see all the insulation he needs to with the tub in place

Quote Originally Posted by dlh View Post
    i dont worry about it since insulation for anything other than water lines is not in my job description. i set the tub and let whoever worry about the insulation.

on the other hand why couldnt you install the insulation then the tub? unless it is a one piece tub/shower type with the walls the inspector should be able to see all the insulation he needs to with the tub in place
    It is one piece and I will install the insulation first, my question is I dont see how the inspector can inspect the insulation with out making a special trip. IM trying to find out the normal procedure before I make the call. You say you dont worry about it , the inspector can make the contractor move the tub back out to. I am the owner and contractor.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Question

Since inspectors are different all over the country you have to ask him what he requires. Some plumbing codes have the requirements in their code book.
    Last edited by shacko; 12-17-2009 at 01:27 PM.