Low well water flow

Users who are viewing this thread

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary - so if I drop NU-Well tablets down the well it will eat the iron buildup in the pipes?

I'm kind of curious as I have really high iron (12+ ppm), and there is a light coating of iron on the inside of - well -everything before the filters. Its never built up, but I saw the picture you just posted before and always wondered if that could happen to my well.

Would it be worth dropping NU-Well tablets down the well now to remove the coating of iron that is already there? Or would it just return back to its current state after a month? The water pressure/volume seems about the same as its always been.

-rick

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That is mostly IRB in that pipe.

If you don't have a build up, don't worry about it.

You don't throw any type pellet down a well, you follow directions and dilute a solution and then pump it through pipes etc. to recirculate, stop'n wait and repeat with new solution after awhile etc. until they're as clean as possible. It takes the right equipment and a bunch of time to do that. And you wouldn't want to do that unless absolutely necessary. Actually, because it was IRB, I used very highly chlorinated water using pellets, and many companies make various types of (liquid/powder etc.) chemicals, some are disinfectants, for well cleaning and rehabilitation. I also installed a pellet dropper on the well when done.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The owner of that well had been having a reduced flow problem that required pulling the pump to clean it so frequently they usually always had a spare clean one on hand.

Here's a picture of the one I pulled when I started to 'clean' the lines and well.

Just to the left of center in the pic and just left of the end of SS motor is a small hole in the rust buildup, all their water had to go through that hole, which was damned little water.

Below is what the inlet should look like.

Attachments

• IRBblockedpump.JPG
    IRBblockedpump.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 402
  • pumpinlet.JPG
    pumpinlet.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 405

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
My mother's well could need this. Will it hurt the water pump and tank to run the chemicals though them?
You don't use the owners' pump, you bring your own to be able to pump the fluid into the house through the pitless adapter etc.. It depends on what chemicals you use if it would hurt a pressure tank (bladder) but not much hurts a pressure tank but....

Simply shocking a well can harm a pump etc..

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I meant that whoever is going to do the job brings a pump, and not just any pump, it has to be one that will suck water and pressurize the system and has a high gpm flow rate.

It's just rusty chlorinated water so there is no one that should complain unless Mom doesn't want the rust on the driveway or grass, and you can wash it down when done.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
That was a new pump. They were going to clean the old one up and keep it as a spare. I also replaced the drop pipe because there's really no quick'n easy way to clean that and the time would cost more than new. I ran water out of barrels/tanks into the pitless adapter in the well into the house and back through a hose and sent he water rusty down the driveway. When done I washed the driveway off.

To use NU Well or other chemicals, you really need to know what you're doing unless you're using the tame stuff. If using an acid or alkaline product you have to neutralize them before doing away with them.

Annap_mike

Reaction score
If one of my two free standing whole house filters is clogged? how can I tell? and how Can I Solve?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The only way you can tell if you don't have a pressure gauge before and after the filter/housing is to remove the cartridge and put the empty sump on the head and turn on the water and check the flow.

If you mean backwashed filter by "free standing whole house", you by pass one at a time and run water to see if flow improves. If it does, that filter in by pass is the one that is blocked up. Put it into backwash and unplug it for 15-20 minutes and then plug it in and let it finish the backwash and when done, see if there is any improvement. If not replace the mineral.

Annap_mike

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the setup inas much details as I could give. Help!

Attachments

• cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 302
  • controlsbothfilters.jpg
    controlsbothfilters.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Filtersetup.jpg
    Filtersetup.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 307
  • filtersetup2.jpg
    filtersetup2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Hydroflowfilters.jpg
    Hydroflowfilters.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 294

Annap_mike

Reaction score
More pictures

Attachments

• pipesetupbetweenfilters.jpg
    pipesetupbetweenfilters.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 322
  • saltholdernowater.jpg
    saltholdernowater.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 306
  • seethruonironfilter.jpg
    seethruonironfilter.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 305
  • tubstainedfrombackwash.jpg
    tubstainedfrombackwash.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 321

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
The filter is on the right and the water leaves it going into the softener on the left.

The by pass valves are marked and they turn left/right 90*. Sideways is By Pass, inline is Service. They are in Service now. By pass the filter and see how the flow is. Then put it in Service and check the softener by passing it.

I suspect the filter is loaded up with rust.

Attachments

• filterthensoftener.JPG
    filterthensoftener.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 280

Annap_mike

Reaction score
I have backwashed the filter several times and by passed and still poor water flow.. I am about ready to move- if only I could.

Annap_mike

Reaction score
Not sure what I did. But it appears at least for now problem is solved. What I did do- the water flow was very very low. I decided to turn off the main valve, leave 2 faucets open and open the 2 cleanouts installed at 2 different points on the piping. one cleanout is under the steps just past the tanks and the 2nd cleanout visible in one of the photos I took. it is right before coming into the blue filters. I did it last week and again yesterday. the flow imrpoved a bit last week so I did it again yesterday and also backwashed the sediment filter both times.

after doing that yesterday man what a difference. I wish I knew what happened otherthan a clog somewhere was somehow dislodged by what I did.

Any thoughts on why doing what I did resulted in the water flow being restored to a very adequate flow rate again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks