Are closet flange extenders the easy way out?

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteD

Reaction score
I like to do things right, but it seems like closet flange extenders are a reasonable alternative to raising the closet flange. I am tiling my bath - I do not have easy access to the plumbing, but I could cut the finished ceiling in my garage. It is textured and would not look the same after, but it is just the garage.

Anyway, the Set-Rite system for example and among others, seems to be a nice product (forget price for the moment) to raise a closet flange with very little potential for leaking with their sealing system. I will need 1/2 to 3/4" of lift (natural stone) from the current position of the flange.

http://www.set-rite.com/

Should I feel like a cheat if I go the extender route?

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:

PeteD

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. They look good to me, too, but I trust your opinion more than mine.

I appreciate the input...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
extenders

Just DO NOT glue the extenders too tightly to the flange if you use them. Because if you EVER have to change the bolts, and you will need extra long bolts, you will have to remove the extenders because the bolts go through them but are not removable through the slots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks